NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

After the rain?

kerrylewis

Same prediction here - heavy rain followed by clear skies after midnight. You can get lovely clear air in the wake of a front that brings heavy rain (people say the rain has "cleaned the air" - it's just different air). So I've got my fingers crossed for tonight. During the warm weather the skies have mostly been hazy and poor.

Saturday night was good here with clear skies almost to the horizon. Hoping for the same tonight after the rain. As you say Acey it does seem that the clarity is better in those circumstances for whatever reason.

Kerry

After the Rain... Uhm, England lose the Test Match? Nah, looks like She'll We'll be right... :p

The atmosphere needs a "good clean"? But such is the UK Summer: HEAT... then humidity.

Did I ever really see Summers with white clouds and clear deep BLUE skies between them? ;)

snapback.pngcotterless45, on 05 August 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Yep, always had super seeing after the rain. Reckon it takes all the muck out

No, Nick - it's different air!

There are also cases of when localized rain much improves localized seeing. I lived for a few years in the tropics where there can sometimes be a 'dusty haze'. One short, sharp localized shower and the sky massively improves for a time. This may also be the case sometimes in the UK.

If the atmosphere were completely static then I could believe that rain might "wash the air". But if there's a 5mph breeze then the air outside right now was five miles away an hour ago. And rain doesn't turn on and off like a tap - it's caused by clouds that are moving with the wind. Just look at satellite imagery and see how far they travel in a couple of hours.

In any case it turned out to be a great night once the rain cleared - I had the best transparency I've seen in ages.

Archived