11 year old needs to learn Astronomy.

Hi there.

my 11 year old Grandson and I would love to join a group in the South Wales Valleys to learn about the stars and planets. Can anyone please give these total novices any advice please.

Try Cardiff Astro Soc.

Looks pretty good, they have a night on Aug 12 of looking for Perseids,

They have a public event on Aug 17, not sure what and I suggest contacting them as they say Aug17 then say Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 to 4:00 which is one day. They have a talk on Sept 5th.

CardiffAS

There is another at Swansea

SwanseaAS

Another at Bridgend

BridgendAS

Cannot see anything that says Newport, although there may be.

Suggest the Cardiff club for the criteria you have, it is part of the University and they tend to organise fairly good events and talks, they could well have a beginners or introductory course planned.

Hi there.

my 11 year old Grandson and I would love to join a group in the South Wales Valleys to learn about the stars and planets. Can anyone please give these total novices any advice please.

There is an astronomical society based in the heads of the valleys, it meets in the learning action centre in Ebbw vale on the third Friday of the month, it is on its summer break at the moment, but will be meeting up again in Sept. Why not come along.

Hello Xander.

We would be more than happy for you to join the South Wales group here on SGL.

We have regular meeting at our dark site at Blaenavon. Lots of different levels of experience.

Come along to one of the meetings if you can, try some of the scopes, learn some of the constellation.

you can find us here on the Social group link which as already been posted on here by Daddystu

Pat (Valleyman)

• 3 weeks later...

And of course there are loads of books. Read everything you can. Turn left at Orion is great.

Read,read and read. Books,online tutorials, astro mags (if you subscribe to any), astro forums (ive been on a few and SGL IS THE BEST).

Dont be afraid to ask any questions. The only stupid questions are the ones you do not ask. There is ALWAYS someone here to answer them.

Archived