NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher Dual Speed Focuser Explorer

Hi,

Would like to know other peoples opinions on the Skywatcher Dual Speed Focuser which is available to replace the standard one.

I am using a 200p Explorer.

Any comments on the Focuser be appreciated.

Thanks.

Can I ask why you are replacing it?

Is it for stability (for imaging) or just for the dual speed?

If it's the dual speed, then had you considered one of these?

Nice little mod and would save a few £.

For stability, others will have to advise.

Cheers

A good bit of kit. I've used the single speed before and I use a dual speed now, as you would expect there is an improvement in the control you have with fine focusing, however I find that using the slow speed to fine focus means your hand is in contact with the scope for longer which results in more shake and therefore a longer time attempting to focus, I am considering an electric focuser for this reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that's what I've been looking at, are they easy to fit??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to fit about ten minutes tops. The only problem I've had is that the sticky pad to attach the velcro doesn't seem to adhere to the velcro, I've tried using the pads used for attaching car number plates, better but not brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. I have ordered the Auto focuser, decided not to upgarde the actual crayford.

Let you know how I get on with it.

Have you had a chance to play with it yet?

As a very recent beginner, focusing my 200p is one of the things I find a little frustrating because of the scope wobble (using a telescope has made me realise I'm not very dexterous :/) The auto focuser looks like it might be a great help if it works well.

• 1 month later...

Hi just a quick update I tried the Auto Focuser but have recently sold on. I instead fitted the avialble 10:1 Crayford focuser which I find a lot better. There was some time delay in the auto focus if you went past focus and then had to go back the other way. Just me maybe but prefer the 10:1 Crayford for sure.

Archived