Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good bins for holidays

Hi all, the wife and I have booked a Caribbean cruise for March next year and I have heard from people that the skies are really dark there. I want to take full advantage of this and so would like some suggestions on some good bins that would allow me to get some star gazing in as I cant take the scope for several reasons. :cry: So what would you guys suggest? They have to be able to fit in a suitcase obviously, maybe come with a foldaway stand and not break the bank (around £100ish). If such a pair exist, which are they? Thanks, Ian

10x50's of some kind.

Ships have a habit of pitching and rolling so big bins will be hard to hold steady, even on a tripod.

You will need a dark area of the ship, cruise liners are not built for stealth and tend to be well lit. Suggest the stern, at least then you will be looking back into dark skies.

Hi,

I spent ages last year picking some binoculars and settled on 2 pairs, one i could leave on a tripod and one i could use to quickly scan the skies and double up as daytime binoculars for holiday too. -

I got some revelation 15x70 for only £60 that i generally leave on a lightweight portable camera tripod that my Dad donated to me! i keep the tripod in a smallish old camping chair bag (chair like this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_836081_langId_-1_categoryId_165669) that has a carry handle, so that i can sling it over my shoulder if go walking (or just to get it from car to caravan!). I was surprised how good these were for the money, (although i had them delivered and had to get a replacement pair as the lens was all out of whack - but second time they were fine!) and i have seen some great sights, easily splitting some double stars, can just make out saturn's ears and have seen moons round jupiter (albeit small, but they were there!)

They have fold down eye cups that help me with my glasses on! they do have a slightly irritating double lens cap for the eye pieces, that never really seems to stay on though!

I went for the Helios Naturesport plus 10x50 as my walking about, sky scanning and daytime binoculars - these are my favourite as they come most places with me and are clear and crisp! they are great for getting your bearings and I particularly like looking at the Pleiades and the moon with these. they also have the twisty down eyecups, which helps me a lot as I wear glasses, and don't always have the forethought to put in my contacts!

also thinking about the fact that you are on holiday, I would recommend also thinking about whether you might need a bag to put your new lovely binoculars in too - I say this as I take mine camping/caravanning a lot, and found that the cases weren't solid enough for me, so switched the bigger revelations in a small aluminium camera case, and my Naturesport go into an old slightly padded case logic bag, that i think was for an old car stereo. this fits really well in the bottom of my small rucksack too.

ooh i've also just thought, i was thinking that i might try one of these neck pod thingys as more portable option to help stop the hand shaking a bit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Tripod-Support-Binocular-Spotting/dp/B002JJCNMS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ph_1 and they are cheap and small too, but not sure how much they'd actually help, but for only £8ish, might be worth a go.

hope that all made sense!

Kt

Counterintuitive perhaps but well coated 8x32 ( phase coated if roofs) that focus close will serve you better. You can bird with them, you won't get sick of carrying them, you can use the CF for insects and they'll be fine under a good dark sky.

I've carted all sorts of Rubbish over the globe and this is what I now use.

And you can use them when you get home on the dog walk in the woods.

For unmounted binoculars on the deck of a boat, you either need to get Panasonic (not Canon -- their IS counteracts jitters, not the roll of a deck!) system image-stabilised ones (which will be way over budget), or limit your magnification to around 7x. (This is the reason that 7x50 are preferred for hand-held marine use). 8x may be usable, 10x is pushing it on all but the calmest of waters, and 15x is just too much. I'd suggest 7x or 8x.

You're a young chap (according to your profile), so vignetting by your eye's pupil should not be a problem (but might be a good idea to measure it just in case), so you can use apertures 40mm upward, and benefit from the greater light grasp. I'd suggest getting the best glass you can afford in the 7x35 - 7x50 or 8x32 - 8x42 range. Porros will generally give you more "bang for your buck" than roofs, but roofs can be easier to hold comfortably. Binoculars are very personal things, so take time to find one you like using -- it may become a friend for life! :laugh:

I'd be interested in your choice.

Just an extra point or to to think on.....

not many Porros are waterproof ( Swarovskis are), but you do get better 3D effect with them and I find them easier to focus in poor light.

That said, that's no big issue for Astro!

good luck.

I agree that anything over 8x will be too much. Even on land I used to like 10x50 but now greatly prefer the stability of 8x42.

Sky clarity will depend on the season. I cycled around the Mexican Yucatan in late July and August and rarely saw a star, though it was monstrously hot (and very interesting.)

Olly

I have a set of Opticron HR 8 x 40.Where I live in light polluted area,10 x 50 would show more than 8 x 40's.But when I visit my famile in darkest skies West Wales the 8 x 40's come into theire own.Helios 8 x 40 naturesport are nice wide field binoculars.Oh and enjoy your holiday.

P.S. 15 X 70'S ARE GREAT,BUT TAKE UP TOO MUCH LUGGAGE SPACE.CHECK EBAY.

It's not easy trying to observe on a cruise ship believe me, trying to

find a spot to settle down to view is almost impossible, cruise ships

sail overnight, the wind and movement of the ship makes it difficult

and the lights are everywhere, for safety reasons there are no dark

places to get into, the loungers are good to lie on to observe but the

lights do make it hard. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise but don't

expect the observing to be great, next cruise you book go on QM2

it has a planetarium on board you get a far better view from that.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived