NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How portable is the EQ3-2 synscan mount?

The Synscan box is designed to fit to a round tripod leg?

Would that be a round tripod leg of the same diameter as the circular section on that you don't recognise, by any chance?

James

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Synscan box is designed to fit to a round tripod leg?

Would that be a round tripod leg of the same diameter as the circular section on that you don't recognise, by any chance?

James

There's nothing circular on the tripod. In the image below you'll notice that the holder is fitted to the side of the leg, which I tried. However it's barely keeping it in place.

ovl1067220230.jpg

The holder is designed for this tripod.

EQ3ProL.gif

Well, I now put the holder aside and with heavy duty velcro the synscan box is better positioned.

There's nothing circular on the tripod. In the image below you'll notice that the holder is fitted to the side of the leg, which I tried. However it's barely keeping it in place.

I think you miss my point. The part you don't know the purpose of has a cylindrical section on one end, does it not? The Synscan holder is designed to fit to a cylindrical tripod leg. Is the cylindrical section on the first the same diameter as a cylindrical tripod leg, I wonder? Perhaps the cylindrical section of the part you don't recognise is designed to have the Synscan holder fitted to it and then the other end bolted elsewhere?

James

Is the cylindrical section on the first the same diameter as a cylindrical tripod leg, I wonder?

By which I mean the leg of a tripod that would come with a heavier duty mount, not the non-existent cylindrical legs of the tripod supplied with the mount.

James

Yes, it does fit. Thanks!! I thought it was a camera adapter of some sort :)

However, it's a bit awkward in any position you bolt it to the tripod. I'm not very worried anyway. I kinda prefer the velcro, less parts protruding.

post-27451-0-12916000-1374769724_thumb.j

post-27451-0-45459300-1374769730_thumb.j

I've no idea if there's a "recommended" place to bolt it to. I didn't even twig what it might be for some time after seeing your picture of it. I was wondering if it was meant to be fitted between the accessory tray and the stretchers on the tripod legs, but I don't think the cable is long enough for that. Someone must surely know?

James

The EQ3-2 Pro Synscan has landed this morning.

Congratulations!

And by the way, what is this piece for?

I tried to mount it together with an screww of accessary tray, but it makes levelling the tripod a little tricky (I use my own bubble meter to measure the levelling on accessary tray), so vecro is I solution too.

And least but not last, have a look at how big the NEQ6 looks in comparison :D

I noticed that too when I visited an local astro shop, and came to the conclusion that NEQ6 is something that I would probablly not use as much as I would like to.

And be careful when tightening the tripod legs, I busted my plastic clamp :shocked:

I've just got a replacement leg from Telescope-Service.

the whole point for the EQ3 for me is quick grab and go before the clouds roll in :D

When it's for example planetary imaging session that requires using my large frac or C11, I go for the NEQ6.

I've no idea if there's a "recommended" place to bolt it to. I didn't even twig what it might be for some time after seeing your picture of it. I was wondering if it was meant to be fitted between the accessory tray and the stretchers on the tripod legs, but I don't think the cable is long enough for that. Someone must surely know?

James

Certainly for the longer cable (the RA one) you can possibly go half way down the leg.

I looked into making a longer cable but was unclear on if it would affect current to motors (and looked too tricky for me :smiley: )

I now have my "project box" secured half way down one of the legs and there is still enough play in the cable.

I for one always assume that little holder clip was for the accessory tray lip but it looks ok at the top of the tripod leg.

I'm all eqmod these days so it's just a usb cable for me.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Neil

Neil

Wouldn't you use the EQDIR units to connect the mount to a laptop?

I don't know of anyone who sells the Synscan handset -> NEQ6 cables, but if you're happy with a soldering iron it wouldn't be hard to make one. The pinouts are well documented.

James

For firmware updates to the handset I used a cable supplied with the mount. It's RJ11 at one end and DB9 at the other as far as I recall. I plugged it into a USB<->serial converter which I then plugged into a USB port on my laptop.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the bracket on the EQ3-2 Pro GOTO that provides a fake "round leg" mount for the motor controller box, I realised today how it is supposed to fit. It goes under the tripod head, between it and the knob. Someone else was asking, the answer popped into my head and they posted a picture:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/173660-eq3-goto-system-is-made-for-wrong-tripod/page__st__20#entry2009112

Actually, it looks reasonably neat.

James

• 2 months later...

Ha! That cross post was to me! Yes it took me a while to figure out where to screw that metal bracket to and it used up all the spare components I had in the box. If velcro works then fine, but I think it's daft for a company to make something as fine tuned as a telescope with a goto mount and rely on the user to patch velcro to the leg and stick a component on it lol. Anyhow, my box controller works on this metal bit and the little plastic holder slots onto the metal tray and holds the synscan nicely. 

frank

Archived