Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian versus Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ-5

Hi,

I got some good advice from here that as a new astronomer the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian was good value and had alot of apperture but was not suited to imaging. I have also seen some posts about the Dob telescope being low and therefore needing either a stool or table (some people complaining of backache).

Having looked at different telescope I also looked at the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ-5 and wondered if this scope is better than the Dob for imaging and solves some of the mounting issues mentioned about the Dob. I realise that there is a significant price difference but what do people think......are the Dob issues mentioned not really that bad or should I save up and get the Skywatcher Explorer.

I realise that this is a personal choice but any comments/ advice would be appreciated.....apologies to those people who have already commented on my earlier posts about Telescope Advice, I just want to get it right.

Thanks,

Chris

It has to be better.

You cannot image with a dobsonian mount you can with an equitorial IF it has at least dual motors as part of the equipment.

In terms of the scope they are basically the same, it is the mount that is different not the scope.

The EQ5 is at (beyond ?) it's limit as a sensible imaging mount for something as big as the 200P and the 200P has a focal length that is a bit too long for imaging and sticking on an EQ5. Translate angular movement into linear movement and it becomes apparent.

If you are thinking that as in visual astronomy bigger aperture is better then change the thinking process.

Just realised:

If you want to see a few imaging rigs get along to the South West Astro Fair at Sidmouth on August 10th.

There is usually a tent full of insane imagers packed in a tent, kept in control by the watchful eye of Kate (I think it is Kate)

You would get the chance to talk to a few and see what they use and produce, and if they have been fed before hand you may get out alive.

The 200P explorer and 200P dobs are slightly different OTAs - the explorer is an F/5 and the dob is F/6.

You may find it a struggle to image with the 200P and EQ-5 - although it has been done quite successfully. What you could always do is get the 200P and EQ-5 combination, add dual motors and occasionally just sit the DSLR on the mount and take some nice wide-field shots - this would allow you to practice all the necessary imaging bits like Polar Alignment etc..

It's all about money and mounts, the dob is cheaper because of the simple

mount, an Eq5 will take more time to set up, and longer to master, it's mostly

personal choice and money, with a dob you soon pick up the nudging process,

with the Eq5 you need to polar align and the polar scope costs extra, plus the

cost of duel motors, as I said it's cost and personal choice, as far as backache

is concerned a simple ironing chair is good I have this one which I find really good,

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/leifheit-multiseat-niveau-ironing-chair/product/

and a lot cheaper than the observing chairs which are £125.00, you can make your

own If you are a DIY type.

Hiya Chris,

There are many considerations when choosing the type of setup to buy, in my experience I would suggest some thoughts on the following.

Portability, ease of use, storage space, how much you want to pay, available accessories, re-sale value, observational or imaging use.

My main considerations were portability and ease of use.

Hope this helps

Shaun :laugh:

If you want to image, use the explorer 200p eq. I've also heard some people say that for stability, you should consider the heq5, but it's far more expensive, and I've never used it myself to comment

As you'll read from my signature, I'm gathering experience of both the SW 200p Skyliner f6 Dob and the 150p F5 Explorer. I think that the two are very comparable in weight and handling whereas the 200p on the EQ5 as a total package may be just a step too large and heavy. Each of my scopes cost me £200 second hand in mint condition and with them I'm enjoying learning to observe the sky and learning to manipulate these physically very different pieces of equipment. Ultimately I'll probably decide what my real long term interests are going to be. In the meantime I've done a little bit of everything. For instance, some lunar photography with a DSLR on the Dob (my wife thinks the pictures are super, but I know that although it was fun to do, I've just been taking snaps compared with proper tracking/guided astrophotography). Equally I've been doing some 'white light solar astronomy' observing with a piece of solar film filtering the light entering the scope. Again good fun, but I know if I had a driven tracking mount and a proper solar scope with a Hydrogen Alpha filter I could do better. I've played with a borrowed Meade ETX125 GoTo Mak which taught me the joys and frustrations of the GoTo handset interface in equal measure. I've joined a couple of astronomy local groups (neither is really local to me) and I've bought a number of the recommended books (TLAO, OITH, Making Every Photon Count, S&T Pocket Star Atlas etc) and downloaded the planetarium software Stellarium etc, so I have plenty to do on the high proportion of unsuitable (cloudy) nights we have had. If you want my opinion at this moment, I'd say get a Skyliner 200p second hand and start nudging it around the night sky. Even if you quickly move on to buying a full AP rig as some do, you may still find the 200p is a 'keeper' and actually not a bad size for Grab and Go.

Hi Chris ...you come across as being at a crossroads. ..I suggest you stop and think for a minute and ask a few questions of yourself. ..do I want to image if the answer is yes buy Steve Richards book every photon counts from first light optics this book is the bible for astronomers wanting to do imagining. .there is a lot to learn and a lot more equipment to buy and it ain't cheap..if it us solely visual then next question is what do I want to view ..general ..planets. .deep sky ......then ask the question again and you will have less scopes to choose from.I would then recommend going to a club and try out a few scopes' before buying..Davy

Archived