NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seeing and Sky Quality

Wow, what a difference!! Still a nice image though, I love the Veil.

Typically I put my scope out Tuesday night which was clear, but hazy. Last night was clear as a bell.

Stu

What a great image! You can see more stars on the bottom half. But It's still a belter!

No you can't. Look again. What you see in the bottom half is that the poor seeing (atmospheric turbulence) has bloated the stars that you can see. There are likely to be fewer of them but they are much bigger. This is not at all what imagers want to see.

Olly

No you can't. Look again. What you see in the bottom half is that the poor seeing (atmospheric turbulence) has bloated the stars that you can see. There are likely to be fewer of them but they are much bigger. This is not at all what imagers want to see.

Olly

Agreed. The atmosphere clearly robs the lovely clear stars and replaces them with stretched stars that are no longer crisp.

Compare the dust too - I'd much prefer the top pane of dust than the second - the top is much more natural and the bottom is spiky and harsh.

Thanks for the comparison Martin, it's good to see just what a difference the seeing can make in one image.

Archived