Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG5-GT declination drive makes a noise but doesn't move

I bought the Celestron C8-SGT and CG5-GT mount last year and have never had a good night's observing with it yet. I thought it was about time to put a question out the the experts! :)

Occasionally when slewing to an object, the DEC drive fails to move, despite the noise it makes (as if the motor is running but the axis isn't moving). Other times the DEC drive works fine. Any ideas what the problem could be? I usually end up resorting to manually slewing the scope (which isn't an easy task with no fine tuning)

It could be a loose locking grub screw on one of the drive gears - either on the motor or on the end of the dec drive shaft - or it could be that the worm drive isn't fully located against the dec gear. Worth taking the housing off and having a look. It is just three screws, if my memory serves me correct, and the housing pulls off each side. Just be careful of the dec drive cable inside. Might even be that the drive motor isn't locked into position and shifts occasionally. There are three countersunk screws that hold it in position.

HTH

I assume that you have both clutches engaged fully???? My very first time out I didn't have them fully engaged. The instructions don't help and they assume that you know the CG5 to begin with. But if that were true then why have instructions in the first place? Failing that then go onto the Celestron website and look through their faq's first. I certainly wouldn't start opening it up as suggested. These mounts have a two year warranty and you would be well advised to check everything thoroughly first. Failing that then get in touch with the retailler who sold it to you and take advice from them.

Archived