NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A scope I can use for imaging

Hi,im looking to buy a new telescope to go on my HEQ5 mount and want to do some DSO imaging using a DSLR,only have a budget of around £250 so i am guessing i will have limited options,any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I use a newt but I'd love to get a frac. This is about the cheapest you'd get away with in the frac catagory http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-zenithstar-zs71-ed-2013.html

but you'd probably be better with this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-ota.html

maybe stick with a 150p newt http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-ota.html

For astro-photography, you will require a telescope that doesn't produce chromatic aberration (false colour fringes around bright objects). An ED glass refractor would make a great start but this would be outside your budget. However, a Skywatcher Explorer 130P-DS OTA reflector and a SkyWatcher coma corrector would fit the bill nicely.

I second the choice of a small ED refractor but it will have to be second hand to fit into your budget. Just be patient and watch the web and you'll find one. The come up pretty often and usually good prices but the go fast.

For astro-photography, you will requires a telescope that doesn't produce chromatic aberration (false colour fringes around bright objects). An ED glass refractor would make a great start but this would be outside your budget. However, a Skywatcher Explorer 130P-DS OTA reflector and a SkyWatcher coma corrector would fit the bill nicely.

This is just what I would recommend as well. Fast, colour free optics and a reasonably short focal length to enable longer subs without trailing. This is an important consideration if you are not guiding.

Don't worry about reaching focus. All the new Skywatcher Newtonians with the 2" Crayfords, even the single speeds, will reach focus with Canon DSLR's. Much older blue ones with the 1.25" R&P used to have a problem, but they sorted that out years ago with the new focuser. The P-DS models offer even more back focus and finer focus control. These are purpose made to work with a DSLR.

Don't worry about reaching focus. All the new Skywatcher Newtonians with the 2" Crayfords, even the single speeds, will reach focus with Canon DSLR's.

Indeed, this is why I chose this particular model - SkyWatcher have awoken to the needs of the imager!!

Interesting my 12" collapsible goto Dobs didn't and that was 2-3 years ago.

It's a shame, but a dob isn't really an imaging scope per say and 2-3 yrs is a lifetime in technical advancement

Archived