Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Set to buy my first pair of binoculars!

Hey folks! I made a topic about buying my first telescope and it was wonderful- got lots of great advice, critiques, and tips, but I ended up getting discouraged at the difficulty of use. I still plan on learning to use it better ultimately, but during the learning curve, I'd like to just be able to work with something easier and more portable- bins! How do these look?:

http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars/Astronomy-Binoculars/Orion-10x50-Binocular-Stargazing-Kit/c/5/sc/72/p/101453.uts

Its just a question of quality control I guess. cheap chinese binoculars are very variable in qualiy and you are right about there may not be much more difference. I put the wrong model number down the ones I thought I was suggesting are quite a bit more. It's difficult judging usa brands we don't get so many over here. Ebay can be good for binoculars if you do your research as can amazon. The birding and hunting forums have a lot of info generally on 8x42 glasses and of course cloudy nights has some very good reviews. I still think you would be better off getting a pair of 80 dollar binoculars rather than a 60 dollar pair with 20 dollars worth of whatever it is thrown in

Just like telescopes you need to research when buying bins,

it is well worth saving for longer rather than being disappointed

and get yourself a reasonable pair, 10x50 are a good hand held

size, the Helios Naturesport plus are well recommended but are

more expensive at around $120+, but it would be far better I'm sure

than the cheap Orion kit you have seen. So research a little more

because it may cost you more money if you are not happy with them.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

It's a really good idea to get a pair of binoculars as you can really learn your way around the sky. I would agree about getting a decent pair if within budget though. They will last longer and you can obviously use them for all sorts of purposes - proofed ones are a good idea as they don't fog up in the cold.

andrew

Alright! So, after some looking, I'm thinking I'll get these: http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars/Astronomy-Binoculars/Orion-UltraView-10x50-Wide-Angle-Binoculars/pc/-1/c/5/sc/72/p/9351.uts

Lemme know whatcha think! It has all the features ( judging from the site itself and the reviews) that I was looking for- crisp, clear, sharp images; ability to view planets, stars, stars clusters, galaxes, nebulae, etc., 10x50 and glasses relief! I just wish they were a tad cheaper...they're more expensive than my telescope! -granted I got my telescope on sale...

P.S. I'm trying to find U.S. -based stores for shipping reasons, so if you wanna search for me, keep that in mind please! :)

When I bought my first real bins, I was ( correctly as it turns out) advised to save as much as I could, the save the same amount again and borrow the rest, to buy quality.

As shooters say, "only an accurate rifle is interesting".

I AM an optics snob, so bear that in mind, but you'll only cry once if you buy quality, you'll cry every time you use them if you buy poor stuff.

A bit of an exageration I know, but it makes the point.

There is some fair priced good gear out there. The only way to find out is the old way, looking through them, feeling the focus, checking the engineering, fit and finish.

Sorry not to help much.

MrBonds, your input WAs helpful! Everyone's has been! I believe I am going to purchase the second pair I posted. They're a bit steeper than I was originally gonna pay but I really want a good pair of bins as I see myself using it more often than my telescope. I am a glasses-wearer and I live with glasses wearers and it seems like the pair accommodates for more comfort for people like us.

Archived