NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Televue 85 - Best portable mounting options ?

Wolfgangwand

Hi , Just looking for a bit of guidance regarding a sturdy , potable mount / tripod for a TV85 . Been looking at a Telepod but think it looks a bit expensive for what it is or am i talking rubbish / worth every penny ?

Rob.

I use a Telepod with the smaller Pronto and I love it as a mount. Very simple but smooth and rock steady. I use it on a mid-weight Manfrotto photo tripod. I don't know how much heavier the TV85 is though.

I use a mini giro for my TV76 and a Giro II for my 106mm Astrotech. On a stable tripod and balanced well they are very smooth and easy to use. Very solid.

post-6762-137357811226_thumb.jpg

post-6762-137357813068_thumb.jpg

Stu

told you somebody would be along with a giro :smiley:

Go with the Giro!... :hello2: you know you want to... :icon_salut: (and two scopes!) :D

With my TV85, I use a manfrotto 475 tripod with a Televue Upswing mount, this I find quite stable. For a less stable option, but alot lighter, I use a manfrotto 055cl with a 501 mount, (for holiday use when space is at a premium). If you keep the legs short enough I find this adequate. Hope this helps.

Thanks for pointing that out Stu , I had read

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=televue%20telepod&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.televue.com%2Fpdf%2Fliterature%2FTele-Pod%2520Mount%2520Instructions.pdf&ei=SjffUZHBD8TB7Aaet4GICQ&usg=AFQjCNGoJXXEaDRUvf81iTQV5x23JiKVJA&bvm=bv.48705608,d.ZGU

In the introduction it says up to TV85 - i'll have to try and find out for sure if I go down this route .

Thanks again for taking the time to find that out , much appreciated .

You are welcome. That's not very helpful of Televue is it, they need to be consistent. I suspect that it may well handle the 85 ok but worth checking out further.

One thing which put me off these is that, again according to the specs, they won't quite reach the Zenith (+85 degrees) whereas the Giros will. In practise this may not be an issue very often, and I guess possible to solve by shortening a tripod leg but one to bear in mind.

One benefit is that they don't require a counter balance bar/weight. I do find the Giros are far smoother when properly balanced.

Stu

My Telepod is a bit tatty and not the best example, but I wouldn't put an 85 on it, I don't think, even if it were pristine. I also have an old Gibraltar but that is all very well so far as it goes. The lack of slo-mo and the high price, plus fiddly and easily lost wing nuts, make me doubt that a new one would be worth it. It's nice and simple but long in the tooth.

Olly

If you are looking for an excellent mount/tripod for that quality of a scope google "DiscMount" I have my 101 on it (along with the sky commander and it is the ultimate Alt-AZ (push to setup). Expensive but perfect - read all about it - handcrafted, smooth, no balancing necessary, light weight and the perfect grab n go you can imagine. I love it and worth every dollar.

classifieds-6357-0-57055800-1372886706_t

told you somebody would be along with a giro :smiley:

Giros are nice but for a smallish scope i would try the AyoTraveller (the mount in the middle, on a Berlebach Report 3012 astro - carries up to 18 kg, the tripod that is. The mount to the left is a Ayo mount, pretty similar to a Giro)

Its light and essential just 2 big circles at the alt and az axis. Like mine with my Coronado SM 60 II.

I use my Megrez 90 refractor on a photographic tripod with a Manfrotto 393 gimbal type fork mount. The 393 is made to take up to heavyweight 600mm photographic lenses. It is a great easy carry mount for my Megrez which is probably about the same weight (or perhaps more?) than the TV85. The good news is that if you already have a suitable photo tripod the 393 was only about £125 new the last time I saw one listed.

Regards, Paul

I have my TV NP101 on the DiscMount (DM-4). It is perfect - good looking, solid, steady, smooth as silk, no vibration and very portable -total weight including scope is approx. 30 lbs. If someone can advise how to attach a photo from my file would be please to attach.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived