Milky Way Viewing

Good evening all!

Hope you all have a good clear sky this evening! Heading out shortly myself!

Just a quick thread really, checking this months calander we have the best viewing of the Milky Way this Friday acording to Sky at Night mag - with no lunar interfearence, a good chance for a viewing. I, shamefully have never had the honor of viewing the Milky Way as sadly many many people haven't these days.

So I want to change that, prefrably on Friday. So I figured some people may have some hints, tips and locations that will help anyone that fancies their chances, heading out in Friday.

I'm near Chester/Wirral/Liverpool and I'm considering traveling to Suprise View via train for the evening. But I'd love to find somewhere a little more local to hit. Unfortunatly I don't drive which is always restricting esepcially with my 200p dob, but I'm keen to see this with the naked eye - for now.

Any ideas? All welcome :smiley:

James?

The first time I realised I was looking at the Milky Way, i thought to myself "I've probably seen it a load of times but thought it was a hazy thin cloud"

I can see it from my garden but I'd love to see it somewhere properly dark. Towards the end of summer it is lovely as the sky is a little darker. It wont be overhead then but I feel it stands ou better then. Good luck

I lived in Chester for 2 years before moving back to Ireland, lovely town and surrounding area. Great memories..

Barry

Ive seen the MW once from my garden and like Bart, i thought i was looking at high thin cloud. This happened yrs before i had a scope so i didnt have much aperture to take a closer look. Then a few yrs ago i saw it naked eye from a dark location and i struggled to find even the most well known stars,planets in the sky because there were so many stars.

How easy is delamere to get for you? not sure what time the trains run till, but the milky way really is superb from round there. Other than that it's quite hard... if you can get to neston and are prepared for a bit of a walk/cycle then Burton marsh can also be pretty good.

My first view of the Milky Way was in Australia, about a mile away from

Ayers Rock or Uluru as they call it now, wonderful sight.

Getting back to this country the closest dark sky for you would be north Wales,

but getting right out into the isolated parts without transport will be difficult, I live

on the Wirral and here the LP is quite bad at times, so might not be possible.

Good luck

Archived