I should of asking first,,,

hello all,,

as the topic says,,i should of asking you good people here first,,,

i had to reset my 6se back to factory settings so i could change the

Long/Lat to my exact location (couldn't find my manual),, because anytime i

select lets say Saturn it was off,,(how i can explain this),,on a clock face,Saturn is at 8mins pass the hour and the scope would slew around to stop at 12,this happens to all my objects i select,,,

i'm doing auto two star align and it says align successful,,

my Long is 6W and Lat is 53N

i bought the scope 2nd hand so the last owner would of inputting his Long/Lat to his area

where i live about 20/25 miles away from that,there abouts,,

just wondering if i would of loosing all the data in the hand control,,i had it out today to look at the sun

(with filter on),,and i didn't check to see if all data was still in it,,hope i'm explaining this right,

i will be taking it out tonight to see if its getting an object in the center or at least in the EP

This part for paul (lukeskywalker) because he lives in dublin aswell,,,i'm from clondalkin

and i went out to balbriggan to get it would that be the cost of it,,,

thank you all

Greg

Apologies if you have already checked this - are you inputting consistent time and timezone info e.g. selecting standard time and then putting in the actual time in BST?

Hi Greg,

I think this is what you are asking,

After factory reset, user defined objects remain saved but location data, lat-long, date-time, backlash compensation and filter limits are lost, so you need to enter these again.

Extract of the user manual is pasted below.

Follow this link to download the latest version of the manual:

http://www.celestron...811069manua.pdf

Factory Setting – Returns the NexStar hand control to its original factory setting.

Parameters such as backlash compensation values, initial date and time, longitude/latitude along with slew and filter limits will be reset. However, stored parameters such as user defined objects will remain saved even when Factory Settings is selected. The hand control will ask you to press the "0" key before returning to the factory default setting.

William.

The exact long/lat does not make much of a difference - I have always used the nearest city with good results. Anyway, 25 miles would make no difference - your best efforts at leveling will produce a far bigger random offset. If it always stops slewing at the same point, could there be mechanical error?

Hi Joe_L,,

yes i was putting in the date/time but its the time zones that had me -1,-2..+1,+2 or should i off just using day light savings and putting in whatever time it is when setting up,,,,,i will try just using Day Light Savings and see it that was that cause of it,,,,thank you,,,

Hi oddsocks(william),,

what is backlash,,filter limits mean i seen that on the hand control before i pressed 0 to reset,,,i'll have a good read of the manual,,,thank you,,

Hi Ags,,

I hope theres nothing wrong with the motor lets hope its just the time error i inputting,,,thank you

Your timezone should be set to GMT (or UTC+0, I cant rememeber how the nexstar lists the choices) for the UK, Then in the summer months enter Daylight Saving Time and the current clock time, and in Winter use Standard time and enter the current clock time.

An alternative (I do this) is to always leave the telescope set to Standard time and remember in summer to subtract an hour from clock time - I'm writing this at 22:55 clock time BST which is 21:55 GMT - that way you get to always think in standard time (GMT/UTC) which makes chart work and calculations easier.

Joe

This part for paul (lukeskywalker) because he lives in dublin aswell,,,i'm from clondalkin

and i went out to balbriggan to get it would that be the cost of it,,,

Sorry Greg, i am not sure what you are asking me. To get the scope aligned You can enter your exact co-ordinates or as other have said.............pick your nearest city (Dublin). If you can explain to me about what you mean about cost and Balbriggan, i'll do my best to help. I assume you mean the cost of a second hand 6se?

Going by the price a new 6se sells for from FLO (UK retailer), when converted to euros is €950. I think if you were to have bought your 6se new from Astronomy Ireland in Swords that you might have paid about 1100 or there abouts. There website is down for reconstruction so i cant get an exact price.

How much did you pay for it 2nd hand?,what was included? Who was the seller?. I know a guys that live out in Balbriggan who possibly would have had one to sell.

Thanks for the help,,i'm kinda getting there its just out of view a bit,,maybe my alignment isn't bang on or the tripod isn't level ,,

Greg

If the object is not slap bang in the centre of your eyepiece, i would not worry. It just means your scope is not perfectly level or that your finderscope or red dot finder is not perfectly aligned with the scope. Simple to fix both but not a huge issue. I dont think i have ever had an object dead centre after aligning either. It can be very fiddly to do so. Close enough is fine really and the tracking should be fine once you have manually slewed to the target after alignment.

I assume you have entered the date into the scope in the American format of: MM/DD/YYYY

Hi Paul,sorry for the spelling mistake meant to say cause,,,would that of been the cause of it been out of FOV,,i got it of Carl,ex AI in swords (600euros plus extras) he was selling it for a friend of his thats why i was asking would the co-ordinates differ between Balbriggan and Clondalkin where i live,,,,i am entering MM/DD/YYYY into handset,,,i will have to set the backlash and slew speed as another member said because i re set it back to factory settings and that sounds like a night mare for someone that doesn't know it but Joe_L put a link to a tread on cloudynights.com which explains alot (thanks by the way Joe_L)

Hi Paul,sorry for the spelling mistake meant to say cause,,,would that of been the cause of it been out of FOV,,i got it of Carl,ex AI in swords (600euros plus extras) he was selling it for a friend of his thats why i was asking would the co-ordinates differ between Balbriggan and Clondalkin where i live,,,,i am entering MM/DD/YYYY into handset,,,i will have to set the backlash and slew speed as another member said because i re set it back to factory settings and that sounds like a night mare for someone that doesn't know it but Joe_L put a link to a tread on cloudynights.com which explains alot (thanks by the way Joe_L)

I had a feeling you bought it from Carl. Is he not working for AI anymore?. Thats news to me. €600 (PLUS EXTRAS) is a good/fair price. He has done me favours over the yrs, he is a good guy who is not out to cheat anyone.

The co-ords between Clondalkin and Balbriggan wont be very different. If you want do it to your exact location or just enter Dublin as your nearest city.

Yeah he opened up as spaceandscopes in the same shop just took over the lease,,,thinking of going to a star BBQ in Tullamore this saturday night,, if i can't get the set up bang on i could ask 1 of the members from irishastronomy to help out,,,

Greg

jUst looking at spaceandscopes..............i dont think carl has set up in direct competition with Astronomy Ireland AS they are both located in the same retail park in Swords and he is selling Celestron products at the same price as AI.

I received an email from AI saying they were clearing everything out for free,,old books ,,parts of scopes,, ep's ,,mirrorrs, etc,etc

and another email saying that were looking for help in loading up trucks to clear what every they had left and if anyone had spare storage,,, its a pity because i was working late all that week and couldn't get over to grab a few deals,,,

did you go over yourself paul,,

greg

Hi Greg. Ive just been reading back on some of your posts. I missed a lot the other night (due to alcohol). Its a strange situation with AI. The website is down (under construction), and you say they are having a clearing out sale on a lot of stuff?

Also AI normally have their Star party in Sept in Roundwood. Maybe they brought it forward this yr to make the most of the good weather.

Maybe AI are struggling business wise and Carl has took over and is re-branding the company and maybe restructuring the way it operates to allow him to ship overseas?

I might drop out to Swords and have a gander and maybe find out what is happening.

Anyways...............if you are at the star party tonight, have a great time. Let us know how it went.

Paul

Archived