Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying the Helios Apollo 15x70mm Binoculars, Do I need a mount/tripod!

I have made the decision to buy the Helios Apollo 15x70mm Binoculars and its been a tough one but its more down to the cost of the Opticron which will save me over £100 as I was going to buy the Opticron 15x80s. Would like to know if the 15X70 Helios Apollo can be used handheld and would I need a tripod, I do have a Vixen Alt Azimuth from Orion Optics and I know I would need the L Bracket if I need to mount them but would like to know how other Helios Apollo 15x70s owners use there's and if they think they will definitely need a mount. I would like to ask if the Horizon 8115 Tripod would be ideal for these binoculars and also what are people's experiences with the Helios Apollo's 15x70mm Binoculars and how do they compare to the Japanese Opticron Binoculars. Many Thanks :laugh::evil::laugh:

Hi Matt

I would say that any binocular over 10x50 needs a tripod ,Rembering that the heavier the tripod the more stable it will be

light weight tripods just don't work to much movement with just 5mph winds will spoil your viewing

as for the Horizon 8115 I have had them for about 2 years but have only used them about 4 time and one of the legs keeps sliding up to the close position

so I would try another make I no longer support this brand Damo 636 has a lovely sent up check his blogs in binoculars

keep use informed on you new purchase

best of luck

Doug

Thanks Doug, Yeah I am going to have a look for a mount but I don't want to really use my heavy duty mount for my scope and sooner go for a tripod for these binoculars. I may go for a Red Snapper Tripod maybe but not sure if I would get on with a monopod and will check Damos set up right now. I will keep you informed for sure. :) Thanks

Would like to know if the 15X70 Helios Apollo can be used handheld and would I need a tripod,
Firstly, yes, it can be used hand-held (and, probably due to inertia, it's actually steadier than the lighter "el cheapo" 15x70), but not for long, and not nearly as satisfactorily as mounting it.

Secondly, a tripod with a fluid head is OK for terrestrial use, but is not your best option for high-elevation observing (i.e. astronomy) -- it's royally awkward and uncomfortable. I find a monopod and trigger-grip ball-head to be by far the most convenient compromise between stability and portability (details here). The ideal, but it comes with a portability and set-up time cost, is a parallelogram.

I use mine hand-held in many cases, and use a P-mount mainly for star-parties (home-made, quite affordable: about 50 euros worth of wood, 10 in nuts and bolts, 10 for Teflon and ebony-star, and 20 for a sturdy bracket to mount binoculars on photo tripods: 90 euro in all). It fits on my Berlebach, modded EQ1 and Vixen GP tripods through some adapters I made.

I am getting myself a tall monopod with trigger-grip ball-head for fast and easy set-up

Thanks guys, I am going yo mount the Helios 15x70s Apollos on a Orion Optics Alt Azimuth Deluxe Mount which is like a Vixen Porta Mount from the Orion Optics UK site. Ordered a L Bracket also and hope it works well. :)

Thanks Guys, My Helios 15x70mm Apollo's are due to arrive tomorrow for delivery with a L bracket for use on my Orion Optics Deluxe Portable Mount which is an alt azimuth mount. Similar to the Vixen Porta II mount. Will see how I get on with this set up but I am considering a Monopod with Trigger Grip Ball Head as they seem popular but is this set up comfortable and are there any drawbacks to Monopods. May I ask how you guys are finding the Helios Apollo 15x70s and what are some of the objects that look great in these bins. Would theses Apollo's be good for terrestrial like plane spotting, birdwatching and Nature observations. Many thanks. :):)

I have done some birdwatching with them and they are nice for that too, although individual focusing does take some getting used to. For astronomy you just focus once and forget about it, because they just hold focus (bliss!). For birdwatching, you do need to refocus. Any large DSO looks great in them, is my own experience. M33 in 15x70s from a dark location is awesome. NGC 7000 looked nice as well, as do M81 and M82, or M31. Browsing the milky way, especially the region of Scorpius, Sagittarius, and Ophiuchus is great.

The Horizon 8115 AltAz tripod can take giant binos up to about 5kg, it is quite sturdy and I always recommend getting two shoes, one for the binos left on permenant and one for a DSLR camera for easy swapping out. The shoe is also spring loaded.

If you dip into wide field astro photography it will serve you there well too, perhaps a ball head later is also useful for a camera.

If you are looking high up or at Zenith you are better with either a sunbed and trapizoidal mount or angled eyepeices in binoculars (convert them or pay higher prices for interchangable eyepeices and diagonal) OR you could frame up a set of two refractor telescopes to act as a binocular or get a fast telescope and binoviewers.

For giant binoculars you really will need to lay down or bend your neck.

Thanks, I am thinking of buying a monopod but do you think these are good fior my binoculars for observing high up objects and id a monopod sturdy enough for my Helios 15x70 Apollo's. Thanks

Thanks, I am thinking of buying a monopod but do you think these are good fior my binoculars for observing high up objects and id a monopod sturdy enough for my Helios 15x70 Apollo's. Thanks

I guess it would help take some of the weight off your arms, I always try to buy equipment that can serve me a long time into the future and for photography and other uses that is why I bought the stronger tripod.

I never used a mono pod so I don't know to be honest.

Archived