NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opticron 11X80mm Binoculars(Japanese Optics) or Helios 15x85mm

Matt2011

I want to buy a pair of binoculars and I am stuck in what to buy and want them for astronomical purposes and some terrestrial viewing, I do want a nice wide field of view and quality optics and to be able to see some deep sky objects like clusters and nebular and asteroids and comets etc and some nature viewing. Not sure which is better but I am told the Opticron binoculars are great cause there Japanese and that Japanese optics are the best and give the best images. If I am to the choose the the Helios I am looking at mounting them on the Horizon 8115 2 way tripod and would this tripod be ideal. Also seen the Opticron 16X80mm ones which I am keen on also. Any advice would be appreciated. :evil: :evil: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can't comment on the Opticron Matt but I do own both the 15x70 & the 22x85 Helios Apollo and they are both superb. Having owned the 8115 tripod, I wouldn't recemmend it for the 15x85 Apollo. Weighing in at over 10lbs, its way to much for the head imo. I ditched it within a couple of weeks in favor of a Manfrotto tripod and video head combo. Good luck with your decision :-)

Thanks Damo, I am still looking at the Helios and the Opticron and will make a decision and which Manfrotto tripod do you have and video head and did you get them online, Will take a look at them and would you recommend a monopod for the 15x85. Thanks :)

Hi Matt

I would say you have it about right I use a Optiron 15x80 Observers and I think they are great qulity with clear shape views , on a 8115 tripod with a large L bracket

but if you are looking to see the planets you will need 25x100 I use mine for looking at open clusters M42 M44 ect

hope this helps please let us know what you decide

Doug

How do Opticron binoculars compare with the Helios Apollo Range and the 15x85 ones. Not sure which would be the best but Japanese optics are the best as I am told and Opticron are Japanese. I am going to have to make a decision and do you get large field of view and are the opticron binoculars high resolution. Many thanks :)

I concur with what Damo636 says about the inadequacy of the 8115 tripod. The main problem is the head. I have a Manfrotto 475 tripod (goes high enough to enable standing observing of the zenith) with a 501 fluid head, and even this is just about at the limit of usability with a 10lb load at high elevations. (more stuff on mounting here: http://binocularsky....binoc_mount.php)

As regards the "nationality" of optics, you just can't generalise about that. Whilst it is true that the best Japanese optics are (IMHO) better than the best Chinese optics, all Japanese optics are not better than all Chinese optics.

Thanks Damo, I am still looking at the Helios and the Opticron and will make a decision and which Manfrotto tripod do you have and video head and did you get them online, Will take a look at them and would you recommend a monopod for the 15x85. Thanks :)

Matt

I went for a 475 tripod and 502AH video head (bought online from Camera King).....

As Steve has already stated above, the main problem with the 8115 is the head. Although useable, I found it a lot of hard work, even with the 5lb 15x70.

I wouldn't recommend a monopod with the 15x85 Apollo, but the 16x80 Opticron is reasonably light at 5lbs (about the same as my 15x70 Apollo), so use with a monopod should be feasable. I picked up a nice used Giottos 3290b a couple of weeks back for use with the 15x70 (Just need a head for it now!). It extends to almost 6ft and has a 26lb load capacity. Its a nice piece of kit for little money.

It can be a nightmare trying to choose binoculars for the first time and still trying to decide what to buy, Think its down to the fact if your going to invest a lot of money then you want the right ones, What with so many brands and sizes its difficult, I know both Helios and Opticron are gr8 brands and I know that the Opticrons are made in Japan and I know the Japanese optics are the best in the world and Helios are Chinese and there up there as well but I am thinking of going for the Helios 15x85 and hoping that they will give me a wide field of view and will be adequate but was thinking of going for the Opticron 11x80mm ones and had considered also the Opticron 16x80mm ones as well, I am expecting to pay £200 for a Manfrotto tripod and then I will have to buy the video head and does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives. Thanks :evil::Envy:

I personally would not go for any 11x80, due to the large exit pupil size (7.3mm). Even if your eyes dilate that far, the background can look very washed out. The 16x80 is better in my opinion.

I would also prefer the 16x80 but I already have a 10x50 and I am happy to use a binocular on a tripod. The 11x80 is hand-holdable but the 16x80 is not, at least not by me.

Regarding large exit pupils. The 'very washed out background' is normally noticeable only under a light polluted sky (the brighter the binocular, the brighter the light pollution). Personally I like large exit-pupils, even those larger than my eye pupil. You occasionally hear someone say exit-pupils larger than your eye pupil waste light. A binocular is essentially a refractor and exit pupil diameters larger than your eye pupil do, in theory, waste light but with binoculars the magnifications are so low that wasted light is not normally a problem. And a larger exit-pupil diameter is more comfortable because it is easier to centre a large exit pupil over your eye pupil and it is less likely to show floaters and eyelashes.

Regarding the OP's dilemma. Consider whether you will be using the binocular handheld or on a tripod. Then consider your preferred targets. If your preference is low power, handheld, widefield observing then the 11x80 wins. Otherwise consider the larger more powerful options.

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

Archived