Carton 60mm

Stu

I must say, this forum really is amazing. I have been looking for an economical solution for tube rings for my Carton 60mm for ages, and have been making do with some guide scope rings which do the job but are a bit cumbersome.

Anyway, a week ago, I had never heard of Munsen rings, but after reading JamesF's thread on his PST 0.5 mod, I saw Allcart's suggestion and thought they looked ideal.

The Carton OTA is around 62mm diameter, so I went for some 67mm chrome plated ones off eBay. They arrived very quickly and looked perfect for the job. I cut some sections from a length of white plastic piping which turned out to be ideal for reducing the internal diameter enough to allow the rings to grip, with the added benefit of providing some protection too.

I already had shortish dovetail from another scope which wasn't being used, so drilled out the holes at each end to take an M10 thread and fixed everything together.

I'm delighted with the end result. As you may have seen in another thread, I have fully flocked the tube, and now the scope mounts perfectly on my Giro II mount and EQ6 tripod. It is rock solid, and I look forward to having a crack at some doubles and the moon, should be great.

Dave (f15rules), there is life in the old girl yet, do you recognize this as one of your old scopes? :-).

post-6762-137104790963_thumb.jpg

post-6762-137104793849_thumb.jpg

post-6762-137104795922_thumb.jpg

This is a quick iPhone shot at around x110 or so, of a neighbours chimney pot. Looks quite promising.

post-6762-1371048100_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Stu

Stu, i wish i had thought to suggest munsen rings, i have them i n my ebay ebay watched most of the time.............the carton looks really good mounted up like this, i went after as greenkat 60mm f15 but it had sold.

No worries Jules. I had never heard of them before, and had no idea they went up to this sort of size. I'm really chuffed with how it looks, and how stable it is.

Stu

I think Munsen rings might become the method of choice for mounting small aperture scopes on dovetails :) It was a brilliant suggestion of Allan's and I'm very grateful to him for it.

James

Wow, thanks for posting. We have a 60 x 1000 Carton that could also use a good set of rings.

The alt-az mount & tripod are flimsey to say the least. I would like to be able to use the OTA on

a spare manual GEM and tripod we have.

Edit: Could you please show a close up of the rings ?

Thanks.

I know what you mean about the tripod it comes on! Virtually unuseable at anything other than very low mag.

Hopefully these will show the Munsen rings clearly.

post-6762-137140679867_thumb.jpg

post-6762-13714068177_thumb.jpg

post-6762-137140683543_thumb.jpg

post-6762-137140687713_thumb.jpg

post-6762-13714068998_thumb.jpg

As mentioned, I cut some sections from a spare bit of plastic piping which was about 2mm thick and this was sufficient to allow the rings to grip.

Hope that helps.

Stu

Those look nice Stu. I was checking on e-bay but haven't yet been able to find them, the 67mm ones.

I wonder if I can order them through a plumbing supply ?

Edit: The scope is worthy of a better mount, this is the present set up.....

post-21902-0-14968000-1371408834_thumb.j

These are the ones I got, if the link works. Not cheap, but certainly cheaper than getting a pair made up. I wanted the chrome plated ones as they go with the scope better. For the PST, the brass ones look great and are cheaper.

http://bit.ly/19c79Ro

Item number was 330933226014 if it doesn't.

Your scope looks identical to mine, very nice. I took the various brackets and attachments off and just riveted up the holes, easy enough to drill out if I want to put it back to original condition.

Good luck finding some which suit.

Cheers

Stu

Archived