Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen LV 18mm

Naemeth

When the chance came up to purchase another LV, brand new, for €39.99 (exc. delivery), I couldn't resist. I really like how comfortable my 7mm and 2.5mm are, and the views they produce are very good indeed. First off, a thanks to Optical Systems (Explore Scientific Gmbh) is in order, the eyepiece arrived today, very well wrapped and a bigger box than I was expecting!

In terms of kit and finish, it's similar to the other LVs I own, the only difference is the band colour above the barrel - purple for the 2.5mm, green for the 7mm, orangey-red for the 18mm. Looking forward to a first light, as always - I'm still waiting on enough nights' to review my 7mm properly!

P.S. Sorry about the lack of pictures, camera battery charger has disappeared for the time being..

Aahh, the feel of a new EP! Good luck with it. Must say, not really enjoying the astro at the moment, what with the late nights and bright skies (aprt from Saturn, obviously). But when the autumn rolls in we can all get stuck into all the newly acquired kit. Good luck with the 18mm.

Barry

Worth keeping an eye on this website. They are selling the Maxvisions as well.

I saw that - I don't think the Heritage focuser is up to anything above 160g to be honest, it's only thin plastic and I don't want to hang much weight off of it. However, I am saving for an ED80 at the moment, which most certainly will support heavier eyepieces :).

Andrew, I agree. The price had been that low for a while, but I resisted - then I gave in! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I must say this is a great eyepiece for use as a finder. It has a smaller TFOV than the 26mm but I find for my purposes that the field is wide enough to be used for that purpose. It seemed to give better contrast than the 26mm, and the views were just more pleasing (although, you must bear in mind the differences in magnification!). When used on the Moon, the LV 18mm did display a blue "ring of fire" (also seen in the Ethos line from some reports I've read), but the eyepiece is otherwise sharp, all the way to the field stop.

Initial impressions are that this is as good as my other LVs, which seem to be on a par with TV plossls ().

I must say this is a great eyepiece for use as a finder. It has a smaller TFOV than the 26mm but I find for my purposes that the field is wide enough to be used for that purpose. It seemed to give better contrast than the 26mm, and the views were just more pleasing (although, you must bear in mind the differences in magnification!). When used on the Moon, the LV 18mm did display a blue "ring of fire" (also seen in the Ethos line from some reports I've read), but the eyepiece is otherwise sharp, all the way to the field stop.

Initial impressions are that this is as good as my other LVs, which seem to be on a par with TV plossls (http://stargazerslou...e/#entry1972262).

Except of course in eye relief

Archived