Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

complete noob question on eyepieces :)

Giving the space we had to store my new teliscope i had to go for the skyliner 150p over the 200 but my question is what views should i get from the standered 10mm and 25mm i got with the scope and do you thing a x2 barlow would be a good next investment

The magnification of a given eyepiece can be calculated by:

M=focal length of telescope/focal length of eyepiece.

The standard eyepieces are not that good. Most people upgrade their eyepieces very soon! Though with the 150p you will get some pretty amazing views of Saturn, Jupiter and most messier objects!

Just use the existing eps till you are used to the scope , call it practice . Then invest in some better eps and you will see a noticeable difference( I did and they don't have to cost a fortune either go for ), a 2x Barlow will give you four magnifications with those two eps so doubles the usefulness , if you can find one the tals are quite good but there are many acceptable others as I'm sure the other peeps on here will agree.

I can't give you real technical jargon mate cos I don't understand it , I've just had fun learning along the way ;)

There are some great tutorials to search for on the forum discussing the sort of magnification you may find useful. From the focal length of your Dob (1200mm) your 10mm will give you x120. With a x2 Barlow your 10mm would give you x240. However x200 is argued to be about the highest you can expect to use in typical 'seeing'. On the other hand your 25mm gives you x48 and a useful x96 with a Barlow. I've read a number of posts from people who prefer to use a short series of eyepieces and no Barlow. Your scope at f7.84 is quite tolerant of cheaper but quality eyepieces. Of course if you eventually upgrade the scope you may live to regret early compromise purchases! Personally I've got the series of Plossls from 6mm to 32mm and a 2x Barlow that all came with my second hand 150p/750 and I'm busy experimenting to find out the benefits and negative aspect of the various options. Good luck!

I'm an owner of a 200p for 3 weeks now. I have spent most of my viewing time gawping at saturn. I decide to get a 2x barlow as I felt I could handle the extra magnification and it wasn't going to break the bank. The first time I used it I was very dissapointed as saturn looked blurry and dim however it made me realise that not all clear skies are equal, sometime the stars (even with the naked eye) shimmer and twinkle more than others and my first barlow night was a very twinkly one!

Last night was fantastic for saturn and the extra power was well worth having. I also found the andromeda galaxy for the first time and that was just far too dim with the barlow and offered no extra detail.

So I guess it's what you intend to look for. And don't forget the views will wizz by twice as fast!

FWIW, FLO advised me to upgrade the eyepeices to better quality ones before spending money on other kit.

Tim.

I guess it's what you intend to look for....FLO advised me to upgrade the eyepeices to better quality ones before spending money on other kit.

Ay, sound advice from both FLO and Tim.

If I had a 6" and someone told me I could just pick 3 EPs for all my observing, I'd be checking out a general finder EP of around 50x which could double as a lovely white-light EP, a quality EP that gave me around 90x for DSOs, and something around 140x to 150x for general planet use and resolving beautiful globulars and with a cheeky grin, I'd ask if I could pick just one more EP and go for something around 200x for exceptional nights of viewing, general double star splits and close lunar work.

Archived