SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar viewing for the first time...

I've just received my astrozap solar filter.

Before I head outside, I just wanted to know if if I should do anything else or if I have missed something... Don't want to do anything silly!

I've checked the filter for any pinholes (I know its brand new, but you can't be too careful!), and I've put the filter on the scope. I've removed the Telrad and covered the finder scope with caps.

Should I use a filter on the eyepiece? I don't have a dedicated solar filter for the EP, but I do have a number of the coloured filters. I assume a low-power eyepiece should suffice, but it is worth using a higher power to increase mag?

Do I need anything else or is the solar filter for the front of the scope enough?

yer you should be good to go, all you need is the solar filter on the front, make sure its secure so it cant be blown or knocked off and make sure you take your finder scope off or cover it up, you dont need anything on the eyepieces, thats it really have fun!!

rob.

Ay, bearing in mind what both Rob and yourself have written, you're good to go. You're probably going to do most of your observing in white light around 50x. That seems to be a general sweet spot. Yesterday there was good seeing, so I was fortunate enough to observe at around 100x, but that is a rare occassion. Have a play around with those filters and see what they limit or enhance. Generally, I don't use filters prefering just the white light, but I have found that sometimes a deep red and green helps. There are folk who write that the Continuum is a cracking EP, others that say the contrary. I honestly don't know, but it might be worth checking out from time to time the secondhand market.

Hope you have a great session. The sun looks rather pretty today :cool2:

The Baader solar film makes the scope good to go (along with the finder precautions mentioned above). One thing you may not have considered is how you are going to find the sun. You can't look at it to line it up in the eyepiece so you'll need to research "solar finders" or use the "shadow" method. I hadn't thought of this first time I used a solar scope and was surprised how difficult it is without a "method" or a "solar finder". Hth :)

These images may give you and idea:

http://www.google.co...iw=1038&bih=555

And I can recommend the Televue Sol Searcher.

Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't actually thought about me so thanks for that Helen!

Had thought about alignment, but thought I'd read about it in the instruction manual. Having re-visited the manual, it says

"To centre the Sun without looking into the eyepiece, watch the shadow of the telescope tube until it forms a circular shadow."

Clear as mud.

I know that my scope has solar tracking so once I've got it aligned I won't have to manually track it - which will help.

I've seen on heavens-above.com, it has settings for alt-Az and RA/Dec for specific times - can I enter these into the handset and let the scope take me there?

I will definitely be looking for something more permanent. Thanks for that brantuk!

I DID IT! Ok, it was really, really hard to find the sun without the help of a solar finder, but got there in the end using the shadow technique. Just had to use some white paper to show the shadow... Could not get it right using the shadow on the floor!

Really pleased that I managed though. Thank you all for your help and advice!

You could try making a solar filter for the finderscope, along with a shield to shade the area around the finderscope. This will allow you to use the finder to align on the Sun without having to squint into the Sun. This is mine.

scope7.jpg

Anything involving power tools is a big no no! I'm scared of the drill! :grin:

I did think about making my own though, but from the film and a wooden embroidery hoop. Unfortunately, I can't find a hoop small enough for the finder. I did try and find a guidescope ring to buy but they were over £100!

I've ordered a TeleVue Sol Finder now but will continue practising the shadow technique in the meantime. I think I was struggling with the shadow on the floor, but once I tried it with a piece of paper instead, I had it in no time!

Hello Rae, about time you paid us another visit :smiley: , we can show you how to get the best out of your solar observations and you can try out our Ha telescopes. We are now open for solar observation on Saturday afternoons.

Hi Peter,

Cool! I'm still trying to sort out transport. Can't use my car and OH keeps being busy on Saturday nights! Boo! Weather is looking good for this Saturday so may have to take a taxi! What's it like at nights up there? I seriously have so much LP, and with the light nights anyway, it is washing out some of the more obvious constellations, let alone any DSO's!

Archived