Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noctilucent Clouds viewed from Kendal

Went out into the garden last night and was greeted by this....post-22837-0-90478700-1370033782_thumb.p...this......post-22837-0-93115600-1370033895_thumb.p....this.....post-22837-0-13118000-1370034094_thumb.p....this.....post-22837-0-43658400-1370034218_thumb.p...this....post-22837-0-05665900-1370034331_thumb.p...and also this...post-22837-0-35069000-1370034457_thumb.p

My first sighting of Noctilucent Clouds. Just beautiful. The pictures don't do them justice.

Great photos, gutted I missed them as i'm near Penrith, way to late for me tho as i have to be up at 4am :mad:

Steve - 4am? Blimey! I thought I had it tough? Tomorrow night looks promising but this is Cumbria and anything can happen weather-wise :D

Super shots. Hopeful this activity bodes well for the next few months :smiley:

Thanks Laurie61 - apparently the people in the know reckon we could be in for a good year for NLC's. It's a good start to the season anyway and let's face it, after last years disappointments we are owed a few nights of decent displays

Steve - 4am? Blimey! I thought I had it tough? Tomorrow night looks promising but this is Cumbria and anything can happen weather-wise :D

I totally agree with u on that one,I'll keep a look out mate thanks, luckily I have weekends off :smiley:

Great set Alan ...you captured some really nice detail! :smiley: Turned a bit foggy & some cloud up our way but a beautiful display.

Thanks Mikeyscope - I think I could have gotten the focus a little tighter but find manually focussing the 'nifty fifty' lens a bit of a challenge even when zoomed in using liveview. At least on the old cameras setting the focus to infinity meant it focussed to infinity - but now - it seems it's infinity minus a bit!

The pics were unprocessed so I may try bringing a little more detail out. Will post if I do.

Had a play with the Canon editing software and managed to bring one of the pics to as close as how I remember seeing the NLC's on the night. Very bright.

Few stars there too which are either actually there or just dust on the sensor :D

post-22837-0-17965900-1370082589_thumb.j

Lovely images. I have yet to see them, but as the forecast for tonight is still for clear skies after 22:00 I might have a look, just in case

Thanks Michael - If there are any showing tonight then you will not mistake them for anything else as they are so bright. Amazing thing about them is how much the patterns change without noticing that they have

Very nice pics. It was only the 2nd time I'd properly seen NLC's. It was a mega bright display, even visible from the middle of town. I managed to grab these shots from just outside Blackpool.

Nikon D7000 5-10 secs @ f5.6, ISO 400.

post-15011-0-95691000-1370125324_thumb.j

post-15011-0-89349600-1370125352_thumb.j

Nice shots Starman1969! I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get out to a site which would have given me a wider perspective and view of the horizon but it was still quite a show wasn't it?

Just come back in after looking for more NLC's but it wasn't to be. Still, there's always tomorrow night :D

Wow, great shots, I am on the lookout for seeing these, what sort of time did you get these pics?

These were taken at 11.30pm which I believe is quite early to spot NLC's. The usual time is around the 12.30 am mark but I have been informed by seasoned NLC watchers that this was quite a display for so early in the NLC season.

In one way, I wish I hadn't have seen it because I am now walking around the office like a zombie due to lack of sleep watching out for further displays! :D

Archived