Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Radio Astronomy. How?

Hello :rolleyes: ,

I read an article in a magazine and I've decided I would really like to have a play with radio astronomy.

I could not know less about it.

I have no idea about any equipment or anything, I've searched on the internet but the few websites are all extremely confusing to me.

I would like to detect solar activity but mainly meteor scatter. Nothing else to start with anyhow.

Is there a very cheap but proven solution to achieve this? I want a visual representation on my computer if possible?

Thanks and forgive me for my ignorance :tongue: ,

Dan

Ronin has provided some good links.

The simplest place to start is monitoring Sudden Ionospheric Disturbances - SIDs - which turn up as changes in the reception of Very Low Frequency radio stations. These clearly show patterns due to solar flares, and all with a simple 400mm square loop antenna made out of 24 SWG enamelled wire and plugged into your sound card.

Meteor monitoring is a little more expensive because it requires a radio receiver - sound card won't do. Many are using the FunCube Dongle - http://www.funcubedongle.com/ - that plugs into a USB port. The other end of the dongle is attached to something like a three element Yagi aerial, which is mounted about 3m in the air and pointed in the direction of Lyon - there's a military radar installation there.

Both of these things use free software that runs on Windows ;-( and you can download.

I know that the BAA Radio Astronomy Group is working on simpler and cheaper ways of getting into this sort of thing, they're amongst the links I think.

Hope that helps a bit, I'm sure there are others around here that know more than me.

James

• 1 month later...

May I suggest you get hold of "The Radio Sky and how to observe it", by Jeff Lashley from Springer . (ISBN 9781441908827. I've long held passing interest and desire to explore Radio astronomy and after my wife bought this tome as a xmas pressy, well, she's only got herself to blame for the steady loss of garden space! An excellent book and easy to understand .... must be if I can build things from it!

Regards, Les

Archived