Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Slipping Moonlite

I've got a moonlite focuser on my refractor along with a Lakeside motor. Its started to slip and/or not move when I put a filter wheel, camera and OAG on it. I've tried adjusting the big screw in the middle of the flat plate, but that doesn't fix it. There appear to be lots of other allen bolts on the focuser but I don't want to start fiddling without advice on which to do and how! So has anyone successfully adjusted the focuser to stop slippage?

Thanks

Helen

The two allen keys underneath the focuser inline with the focus knobs may need a tweak. as already stated dont overtweak - about 1/8th of a turn is all thats needed.

If it still slips it may be its got too much weight on it - I had mine returned to Moonlite for fitting a much heavier duty spring mechanism as mine often hauls heavy EPs.

The Moonlite is a crayford, and as such it will always have some slippage. I have to say that I am not overly impressed with the one I have on my 190MN. I have it as tight as I dare and I can still wiggle the draw tube some, which in turn means flexure. All crayfords can be adjusted too tight and have the bearings broken. Baader Steeltrack, Moonlite - all of them. If you get the choice sometime with your next scope, go for a rack and pinion one instead.

/per

Thanks all, yes my WO FLT has a rack and pinion which seems to hold better, although there is still a bit of flex in there. I need to gently play with tension I think (or just accept that hanging a filter wheel, OAG and two cameras is just too much for it!!)

Helen

Archived