Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn with 4SE

mikehab

Managed to grab a quick capture of Saturn last night through the breaks in the clouds using the trusty Nexstar 4SE and a Philips PCVC840K webcam with a 2x Celestron Barlow. Really struggling to get anywhere near the quality / details of what other people are getting with their 200mm+ scopes... but I guess that's to be expected with such a (relatively) small aperture. Anyways, probably my best capture of Saturn since I started ... so I'm chuffed ;-)

Saturn_processed.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

That's really a good one, maybe try a little less gain? Seems very bright almost as though there could be more detail hidden in there.

but it is really good!

Thanks for that - yes - the Gain was set quite high - Sharpcap settings below...

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-4

Brightness=64

Contrast=32

Saturation=5

Gamma=0

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=63

I'll try a lower gain next time. Is there a standard/preferred set of SharpCap settings I should be using for Saturn?

Thanks,

Mike

Nice one Mike. It's good to see shots from a 100mm scope. And a good one at that.

Thanks. I regularly see all these fantastic pictures from people with 200mm+ scopes and I'm green with envy ... I keep thinking it might be time to move up to something bigger - but then I remind myself where I live and that the light polution is truly dreadful ... and the urge quickly goes away ;-)

Archived