NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using an old LX6 ?

Laurie61

Hi folks, I like the idea of using video cameras to show you much deeper views of the sky and have a scope that might be suitable? It’s an old Meade LX6, 10in and native f6.3 so 1600mm focal length. It is on a wedge but I can use as Alt Az. What camera would you recommend and would I need a focal reducer. Thanks.

The budget for the camera would need to be known to try and steer you in right direction. ..quite a few of us are using and modifying the samsung scb2000 security camera. .this has a 1/3" sensor its big brother the scb4000 has a 1/2" sensor but Its a hundred odd quid more...Davy

Hi Shirva, I am happy to pay £2/300 or so. As I will buy and then keep for a number of years I don't mind spending a bit more on a better option as I should get the benefit in the long run? So it's performance over price, up to a point :smiley:

Think doctor d the man to take over from me...he has a wealth of knowledge on cameras available and specs.have a look at pictures put up from (Paul .. doctor d) AND Carl reade there pictures are getting better every time they post...the cameras used are low light level security cameras that we hope to mod into a Better camera for deep sky astro video. ..once mods have been done and tested I feel we may be on to a cheap alternative to the expensive dedicated astro cams...300 is just scratching the bottom end on dedicated cameras. .ment to say welcome to the video forum of sgl...Davy

Welcome to the forum, As Davy says the Samsung 2000p is a very capable camera and works well at F3.3 to F5. There are more expensive like the Watec.

I have came across a site, JTW Astronomy which also custom make live view video cameras with incorperated cooling which may be worth a look, probably around £300- £400 although I'm not aware of anyone yet who has tried them.

You could be a first reviewer!

Cheers Carl

Hi Laurie

Welcome to the forum - I personally use a Samsung SDC435 - same as the SCB2000 which can be picked up for about £100.

These have a 1/3" ccd and give similar views to a 6mm plossl eyepiece. You may find that a 1.25" x0.5 reducer works best with your scope, but at F6.3 you should get reasonable results.

The SCB4000 has a 1/2" chip and is claimed to be more sensitive - both the scb2000 and scb4000 will give about 10s integration for the PAL version and 720x576 resolution.

Both need the factory fitted IR filter removed to get the best from them.

Checkout modern astronomy:

http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasAstroVideo.html

And Phil Dyer

http://www.astrophoto.co.uk/

For UK source of astro video kit.

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the info. Will look into this over the next few months and see what options look best

for getting the most out of the scope. A .5 focal reducer would get me down to f 3.15 ish which should be more than good enough and an 800mm focal length. I guess its a trade off in having a big enough image scale to see detail in the target while keeping the f short. :smiley:

Hi folks, I like the idea of using video cameras to show you much deeper views of the sky and have a scope that might be suitable? It’s an old Meade LX6, 10in and native f6.3 so 1600mm focal length. It is on a wedge but I can use as Alt Az. What camera would you recommend and would I need a focal reducer. Thanks.

Although this is a video forum, virtually any USB powered one-shot-colour CCD cam will serve a very similar purpose...and with some advantage. I use a 30cm SCT + f/3.3 FR + SX Lodestar-C cam for my brief DSO imaging and get down to mag 17 in 30s exp - link to sample pics below. Good luck in your choice :police:

post-21003-0-88155200-1371057914_thumb.j

Hi nytecam, I do have a usb cam (meade dsi 2 mono) and these type of cameras are very good :smiley: . Unfortunately the bundled software is not great and takes me a while to set up and get running. What I have been hoping to do is find a plug and play system that shows the sky in reasonable detail and allows you to see faint fuzzes. Have had a look at various methods including image intensifier EP's http://www.ceoptics.com/index.html Unfortunately these are costly and cannot be exported outside of the U.S :sad: So some type of integrating cam plus monitor/tv seems like a useful alternative. :smiley:

Good luck Laurie - here's few single 20s snaps eg M13, M71, M57 [cropped] and M27 in 60s from night before last. They show how deep the Lodestar-C cam can go in brief exposures - the M13 shot has the same stellar penetration and resolution as a 2hr exposure LRGB stack on another astro-forum. It was unusually clear that night for SW London with NELM ~4.0

post-21003-0-71127000-1371323904_thumb.j

post-21003-0-37589900-1371323957_thumb.j

post-21003-0-95642200-1371324015_thumb.j

post-21003-0-07296100-1371324073_thumb.j

Hi Nytecam

They are outstanding given the limited exposures and light pollution.

I think a Lodestar might be on my wish list. I've had a look at your web site - pretty impressive set up!

Clear skies

Paul

Archived