Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory ideas

Hi All

Just a few days of playing around with the 8" Dobs, what I feel as a newbie, is that I could do really well with some sort of shields / observatory - be it a shed, tent or gazebo something to shield me and the scope while out there in the dark from the cold gazing into the sky.

I do have a garden shed, where I store the TAL-1 EQ mount, but the shed is full with garden tools and woods, logs and stuff - there is not much space for the SW200P.

Of course it would be great to have a properly made observatory, but it would be expensive and will take time to make one. But just wondering what could be used for even make shift temporary shields which is quick to set up, transportable, efficient, easy to store, and most importantly good price. cheers.

Jay

this topic has come up before, some people have thought about converting a pop up gazebo, ie by taking the roof off.

I've made a screen out of black material and an old set of wooden curtain poles to sheild light from one end of my garden. I was at one point musing over the practicalities of making a pop up obsy out of sprung steel and rip stop nylon. A bit like a large kids play tent (which is what it is , lets be honest ;)

Hi Jay

Before I built my Obsey (Shed) I used 3 fence panels hinged like a screen. They were only cheap and lightweight but did help. Simple to fold up and store to one side. 4ft by 4ft panels were used.

HTH

Thanks

Jamie

Photos of it would be great. Thanks. :)

this topic has come up before, some people have thought about converting a pop up gazebo, ie by taking the roof off.

I've made a screen out of black material and an old set of wooden curtain poles to sheild light from one end of my garden. I was at one point musing over the practicalities of making a pop up obsy out of sprung steel and rip stop nylon. A bit like a large kids play tent (which is what it is , lets be honest ;)

Hi Jay

Before I built my Obsey (Shed) I used 3 fence panels hinged like a screen. They were only cheap and lightweight but did help. Simple to fold up and store to one side. 4ft by 4ft panels were used.

HTH

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Envy you - you have own obsey. :) Yep, today I was looking around eBay and Amazon for some DIY materials to improvise something like that. cheers.

Jay

Photos of it would be great. Thanks. :)

It's not worthy of a photo it's literally a pole and a piece of nylon string with a few meters of that black weed control barrier stuff dangling down. 100% recycled :)

Astronomy is an outside persuit (for the main). Sure you could build an Obsy with a warm room etc. Thats very expensive to do for an 8" Dob. The simple/cheapest solution is to dress correctly for the weather. You think its cold at night now?..................wait til the winter when it is -10 or colder.

Thats not even too bad, IF you are correctly and safely attired.

Archived