Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount for widefield imaging

Gina

For sometime in the future I'm thinking of mounting my widefield rig on a separate mount with the idea of two separate imaging systems using two CCD cameras at the same time. I'm thinking of camera lenses attached to an Atik 314L+ mono CCD camera, possibly with a filter wheel. I would want to control the mount from computer using EQMOD. I know an HEQ5 Pro would do the job but wondered if there was a cheaper alternative.

I'm also looking for a third mount for camera+lens only work as well. Once the main rig is up and running it would be good to get some widefield stuff on the go at the same time. I was thinking along the lines of a s/h EQ5 but even these retain a high price. I don't want anything too expensive as it is going to live outside under a plastic bag. But it would be nice to have some form of autoguiding too.

Guiding an EQ5 with the after-market motors is possible given some fiddling with the handset electronics that I'm sure GIna is capable of. Depending on how "wide" wide is that may be sufficient? I'm not certain about the long-term reliability of the handset electronics afterwards though. A more robust replacement might be a better alternative.

The HEQ5 would certainly seem to offer more flexibility for less pain.

James

Guiding an EQ5 with the after-market motors is possible given some fiddling with the handset electronics that I'm sure GIna is capable of. Depending on how "wide" wide is that may be sufficient? I'm not certain about the long-term reliability of the handset electronics afterwards though. A more robust replacement might be a better alternative.

The HEQ5 would certainly seem to offer more flexibility for less pain.

James

Thanks James :) I was about to ask about the differences between the EQ5 Pro Synscan and the HEQ5 version - I think that answers my question.

Looks like an HEQ5 SynTrek is going to be what I want and anything less will give me problems. So once I've saved up a bit more after buying a second mono 314L+ I'll advertise for a second hand HEQ5 SynTrek.

Ah, the EQ5 Pro Synscan is different again I think. So many mounts with such similar names :( That might well work, though I've never really been that keen on the way synscan bits look like so much of an afterthought.

If the choice were between an EQ5 Pro Synscan and HEQ5 Pro Syntrek, I'd probably save up the extra £120 and take the latter every time, but that's more personal bias based on the design, I think. In terms of functionality I'd say the case is less clear cut than between the EQ5 modded for guiding and HEQ5 Pro.

James

What about an astrotrac? I'm just looking into this as a holiday alternative. Looks like it can be guided and would handle the weight of equipment you mention.

I'm not familiar with the Astrotrac and I find the list on FLO confusing. I want an EQ mount with good tracking capable of being guided via EQMOD from PC. Apart from expensive kits it seems the Astrotrac is a collection of bits - I'm somewhat confused. I don't require portability - I'm planning to set up a second (lightweight) pier inside my obsy.

Ah, the EQ5 Pro Synscan is different again I think. So many mounts with such similar names :( That might well work, though I've never really been that keen on the way synscan bits look like so much of an afterthought.

If the choice were between an EQ5 Pro Synscan and HEQ5 Pro Syntrek, I'd probably save up the extra £120 and take the latter every time, but that's more personal bias based on the design, I think. In terms of functionality I'd say the case is less clear cut than between the EQ5 modded for guiding and HEQ5 Pro.

James

According to the info on the FLO web site, the only difference between the HEQ5 Pro and the Syntrek is the handset - no difference at all in the mount itself and, in fact, the Syntrek can be converted to the HEQ5 Pro by buying the Synscan handset. So as I don't use a handset anyway (EQMOD from PC) I don't need the Synscan. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/skywatcher-heq5-v-heq5-syntrek-v-heq5-pro.html

Yes, I agree that if you're going to get a HEQ5 you should go for the Syntrek.

I was just trying to be clear about which ones I meant. There's the standard EQ5 which can guide if you mod the aftermarket motors. Then there's the EQ5 Pro Synscan, which is, as far as I can tell, an EQ5 with the synscan handset and a different set of motors and electronics, but should be guidable. And then the HEQ5 (which may need an expensive upgrade to be guideable), the HEQ5 Syntrek and the HEQ5 Synscan.

I've taken against the EQ5 Pro as I said above, but I think it might work for what you want. I would personally choose the HEQ5 Syntrek of all five though.

James

Archived