NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any tips on making EQ3-2 mount more rigid?

The usual tips are to put some weight in the eyepiece tray (I use a couple of large stones) or hang some from underneath the mount, or to fill the legs with sand. As an alternative you could replace the legs with the steel tube legs from one of the larger mounts. It may be possible to get the EQ3-2 to fit the tripod from a HEQ5 or NEQ6 which occasionally come up for sale, but I've never tried it.

James

Hi Gary, i recently (about 3 months ago now, lol) put my EQ3-2 onto an Eq5/Heq5 tripod & i must say that its a great deal more stable than before... Otherwise you could do as James suggested and put some weight on the tray/ fill legs with sand.

Regards Ady

Hi Gary, i recently (about 3 months ago now, lol) put my EQ3-2 onto an Eq5/Heq5 tripod & i must say that its a great deal more stable than before...

Does the EQ3-2 just drop straight on, or is an adaptor required?

James

That's useful to know. I have dithered between trying to put my EQ3-2 on such a tripod or making a "portable pier" from a car tyre filled with concrete with a concrete-filled 110mm soil pipe sticking out of one side. If a tripod comes up for sale locally I might be tempted...

James

That's useful to know. I have dithered between trying to put my EQ3-2 on such a tripod or making a "portable pier" from a car tyre filled with concrete with a concrete-filled 110mm soil pipe sticking out of one side. If a tripod comes up for sale locally I might be tempted...

James

That's not sounding very portable James. :grin:

I use my EQ3-2 head on a steel pipe tripod. The 1.75" one is used for EQ5, HEQ5 and AZ4 is perfect. The mount head doesn't fit on the larger 2" tripod from the NEQ6 though.

That's not sounding very portable James. :grin:

I did put it in quotes :D

It's portable in the sense that I can tip it onto the edge of the tyre and roll it, which is pretty much all I need. The heavier duty tripod very much appeals, but it's far from immune from being knocked or kicked by other people (and myself if I'm feeling clumsy, tbh). Kick a concrete pier and you'll learn to be more careful rather quickly :)

James

Archived