NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Venerable GP-C8 with full regalia

Just set up the scope in the garden to test my latest finder scope mod, and update the photos of the scope. The basic system is still the 17.5 year old GP-C8 (Celestron C8 on Vixen Great Polaris mount). Some years back I added the Baader 2" visual back, and later still I added a 16x70 RACI finder (now morphed into a 14x70, using the Antares 25mm 70 deg obtained from Macavity, and converted to cross-hair EP). Much more recently I got the Denkmeier Filter-Switch Diagonal (lovingly called "The Denk") which is such a great tool for quickly changing filters. Many a planetary nebula (including really obscure ones like Jonckheere 900) was picked out thanks to my ability to switch between no filter and UHC or O-III in the blink of an eye. To add gravitas (or just bulk :D), it is currently holding the 31T5 Nagler, a.k.a. Panzerfaust.

post-5655-0-79447100-1368128040_thumb.jp

post-5655-0-10682400-1368128075_thumb.jp

post-5655-0-08654000-1368128231_thumb.jp

Wow. Love the look of your C8.I can't believe how big the eye lens is on the 31T5, it's huge! Surprisingly though, it doesn't seem to big for the OTA, just about right in fact. However, I think a C11/C14 would be a worthwhile upgrade :D.

Thats a lovely setup Micheal :smiley:

I used to have a C8 on a fork mount that looked just like your tube. I reckon the EQ mount is more stable though. I was surprised how much "twang" those old Celestron fork mounts have !.

The GP mounts are excellent - you can see that the EQ5 is copied from it but Vixen's engineering is so much better. That finder really something too :smiley:

Someone once said that no eyepiece has a sense of "presence" like the Nagler 31mm. I tend to agree :smiley:

Thanks, guys. The C8 has been my stalwart scope for very many years, and I do like the idea of getting a bigger one (who knows, perhaps even a dob?), but this scope is not going to go anywhere. It is such a great portable instrument. I can an do take it with my on holidays (when driving), but I do not think I could pack a C11 let alone a C14 in the boot of even our Renault Espace, without having to store the kids on the roof rack (nice and quiet, though :evil6:).

Lovely setup indeed Michael :cool: and what a finder scope :eek: how does it attach to the ota, if you don't mind my asking?

The C8 is such a versatile and portable scope, can't imagine parting with mine!

Thanks, Dunkster. The finder scope is attached with a Baader standard finder shoe, which I attached to the position that once held the attachment for piggy-back photography. Very easy to do.

Archived