What am I missing here?

JamesF

I was hunting some information down last night on USB camera interfaces and came across what appears to be a massive disparity in the prices of some of the IS cameras between the UK and Europe (TS particularly).

TS have, for example, the DMK41 AU02 listed for 523 Euros which I calculated to be about £350. In the UK they don't appear to be available for less than about £480.

I'm struggling to see why there should be such a large disparity in price and I feel sure that if that were genuinely the case it would have been mentioned here more than once. So what have I missed?

James

I calculate €523 to be about £443. What exchange rate did you use? The FX rate right now is 1.1804 euro to the pound. Still a difference but by the time you add in shipping from Germany, the pricing advantage has diminished some what.

Taxes may differ. When getting stuff from Germany there are no import cost (within the EU, not just the eurozone), but there are postal costs.

Re: Rip-off Britain

When people send me an item from ABS-UK from the UK to the Netherlands postal costs are more than double those of the reverse direction.

Looks like you have used the USD/GBP rate.

Absolutely correct. I couldn't for the life of me see what I'd got wrong, but that's what it was. Good job someone is on the ball out there :)

James

I have just checked our prices for Imaging Source DMK and DFK 21, 31 and 41 models. All of them are cheaper to buy here in the UK.

There will always be times when some products are cheaper in Germany than the UK (and vice-versa) but this isn't one of them :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

Yup. I was sure I must have made a mistake, but I went through things several times and I just couldn't for the life of me see where I'd gone wrong. Obviously I need to use my "reading currency conversion rate" glasses more :)

James

Archived