Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

last nights attempt

So I managed to get out last night with some new kit, armed with my skywatcher 200p and a range of eye pieces o set to work.

HORROR, pointing north so there were no planets to see. So, my next thought was to Target large deeper space objects.

HORROR, at that moment it was like the world wanted to all pit there lights on.(local schools flood lights, neighbours) pretty much destroyed all viewing possibilities.

So its now a case of waiting for tonight, (if the wife let's me).

The planets follow the ecliptic, that is basically start low in the East, rise in the South sink in the West.

So pointing North will not show any planets, for where we are planets do not do North. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Have a look up The Plough, Casseiopia, Cepheus and find out what is in them, a book is good for this. They are circumpolar and North and are visible all year. Better still point it South and West. North is not a good area of the sky, it is underpopulated. :eek:

Better still point it South and West.

I dont think i will able to the restraining order from the lady at number 43 comes into affect in that direction :p.

I live in a quite annoying area where we are pretty closed in all directions but north and east. Might need to set my scope up in the garage block tonight.

Comet PANSTARRS is up near Cassiopeia at the moment - I saw it there last week, moving north out of Cassiopeia's seat. And if I'm facing north, I always like a look at the double cluster in Perseus - and it's fairly bright.

Do you have a sky atlas of some kind? It will help to plan your sessions. I have "Turn Left At Orion" and Sky & Telescopes 2Pocket Sky Atlas". Both very useful.

You can then set your targets before you go out and avoid waving your scope around not knowing what to look at.

Gary.

Archived