Silent alarm clocks

JamesF

It occurred to me last night that I would quite like to be able to get up in the middle of the night to start of some imaging runs, but early riser I am not. I would require an alarm clock to be able to wake up at any time likely to be useful. Once I am asleep the only obvious difference between myself and a corpse is body temperature :) Obviously setting an alarm for 4am is not something likely to go down well with my wife so I wondered if there was such a thing as a silent alarm clock. Google tells me there is. Quite a few different ones. Some even vibrate the bed which sounds a bit kinky to me.

Has anyone ever tried one? Do they actually work sufficiently well?

James

That's bonkers :) It seems as if they have started with a silent alarm clock (which I can see uses for even outside astronomy) and tried to "add value" after which they've let their marketing people loose and it's then become something that you absolutely have to have because you obviously have to know that you're getting the best out of your sleeping time. I'm sure it will come as a shock to them, but I really haven't ever felt the need to analyse my sleeping patterns. If I'm tired, I sleep. If I'm lucky enough and the kids don't get to me first, I get to sleep until I'm not tired and then I wake up. If I can't sleep then I get up and find something to take my mind off whatever it is that won't let my brain go. Sorted.

James

I have a silent alarm clock - she is called Charlotte and is 4 years old and comes into my bedroom at any hour of the morning and quietly taps me on my head and asks "Daddy are you awake".

Ah, that's the "lite" version. It may be silent, or at least very quiet. And it may be an alarm. Unfortunately it tends to fall down on the "clock" part :)

James

Ah, that's the "lite" version. It may be silent, or at least very quiet. And it may be an alarm. Unfortunately it tends to fall down on the "clock" part :)

James

True, she can't tell me the time(yet) - but she does have a knack of waking me up early when I've been lucky enough to have a late night under the stars.

That's bonkers :) It seems as if they have started with a silent alarm clock (which I can see uses for even outside astronomy) and tried to "add value" after which they've let their marketing people loose and it's then become something that you absolutely have to have because you obviously have to know that you're getting the best out of your sleeping time. I'm sure it will come as a shock to them, but I really haven't ever felt the need to analyse my sleeping patterns. If I'm tired, I sleep. If I'm lucky enough and the kids don't get to me first, I get to sleep until I'm not tired and then I wake up. If I can't sleep then I get up and find something to take my mind off whatever it is that won't let my brain go. Sorted.

James

I thought it was just what you needed :grin:

In my house it's called a settee downstairs, with usual alarm clock next to my face. It doesn't vibrate or owt like that and is definitely not kinky and doesn't tap me on the bonce.

But it works and the wife and kid remain snugly asleep.

I'm open to better suggestions :grin:

Archived