Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher accessory kit special offer from OVL?

Now I'm not normally one to buy ready made kits of anything but this seems like a good deal. This kit used to include LER EPs but now includes plossls at a much more useful range instead. Kit Comprises: 7.5mm, 12.5mm, 17mm & 20mm Super Plossl Eyepieces, Four Threaded Light Filters (Amber, Blue, Neutral Grey & Moon Filter) Dual - Beam LED Night Vision Torch, Astronomical Telescope User Guide, in lockable, foam-padded Aluminium Case. I have just bought my son a heritage 76 mini dob and will be getting myself a 200p or 250px in a couple of weeks. Do you think that this is a worthwhile upgrade to share between the two scopes? I will improve on them further in the future and then they will go to my son for the heritage.

You don't say what the price is, but the focal length of the eyepieces sounds like a good range, plossls as well, great starter ep's. You won't use the coloured filters much I don't think.

I agree. As a starter kit the focal lenght's of the EP's are a good range. The colour filters you really wont need or use. The Moon fllter will be ok, but you DONT need it.

What is the price of the kit?

You could be paying most of the cost for the case.

Kit Comprises: 7.5mm, 12.5mm, 17mm & 20mm Super Plossl Eyepieces

Brand new individually...............about £20-25 each. Moon filter about £10-15. Coloured filters.............worthless really.

Might be fine for the heritage but you would most likely be disappointed with the performance of the eyepieces in an 8 or 10" dob, bigger faster scopes are less forgiving of poorer quality eyepieces. Most of what you list there apart from the actual eyepieces can be bought pretty cheaply seperately so that and a couple of better quality about 10mm and 25mm? eyepieces would be a better idea. Folk here will tell you "the best kit is the kit you use most" and I think most of the bits in a set like that would not get the use.

The offer price for the kit is £79 reduced from £149. The EPS are listed at £21.99 each on OVL. So the kit is cheaper than the combined price of the super plossl lenses alone. I know the filters will get little use but the other accessories will. I have read that Skywatcher's SP EPs were pretty good, has anyone here used them?

The offer price is quite reasonable but not exceptional. I have not used them but by other people's accounts they are pretty good. Plossl's will work well in any telescope I have always found, even fast ones.

Most of the 8 and 10" setups these days come with 2 ep's. A 10mm and a 25mm.

I'd decide just which scope you will get and find out if it comes with these. If the package comes with a barlow, even better.

I've just got my first upgrade eyepiece. I've also got an overdose of clouds, so I haven't been able to use it yet, but I expect I'll enjoy it.

If the bigger scope comes with some ep's, why mot spend that cash on a single eyepiece that will be far better than anything in that pack.

Check the classifieds for a great deal on second hand maybe?

Archived