NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Setting circles on EQ2 mount...waste of time or not?

I have a Skywatcher 130p scope with an eq2 mount.

I was viewing videos on you tube...the nature and astronomy series and it said that the setting circles were pretty much a waste of time on my mount?

I can see the limitations in terms of scale etc but does anyone actually use the setting circles on this mount or not and has anyone positive feedback?

Many thanks, Howard

Setting circles on a grea many miunts are useless on the whole BUT tye is a way where they can help. The RA is the most imprecise on the whole whereas the DEC scale is actually not that bad on most mounts, so long as the mount is level and polar aligned to a moderate degree.

Whereas RA is variable, ie its a relative position, DEC is fixed. A handy way to dind things is set the DEC coordinates and then sweep the scope through the RA axis, the object should lie somewhere along the sweep through the RA.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Steppenwolf.....Yes, I will get Turn Left At Orion. I am also using Patrick Moores Stargazing with binoculars and using the binos to learn how to find myself round the night sky.

Astro_Baby.....That's very helpful, I'd never have worked out how to do that for myself.

Regards, Howard

oh dear the setting circles on that mount? :eek: :eek:

its a nice idea but in reality what can i say but in my experience...

they are a joke... forget it. :mad:

its not until you upgrade by a huge extent that you could

use them with some confidence and even then im told

their not fantastic?

gra

Archived