NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13 hercules cluster unguided

long_arms

Hello,

Last night I thought I would have my second attempt at deep sky.

I did a drift alignment using my dslr and it was working well until I realised that I didn't have enough weight to balance on the RA axis.

I stopped the drift alignment whilst I was still a little out, and started getting 25 second subs of M13. There was still some trailing which got worse over the night, must be because of the balance... So I had to throw away alot of subs, maybe 1/3 of all of them were too badly trailed.

This is 50 x 25 second subs stacked in DSS with 60 darks and no flats (I forgot! Oops :S)

Taken with unmodded 350d at prime focus of 200p...I focused on the moon so that may not be perfect although the trailing is obviously worse.

I've tried to remove a massive vignette with a gaussian blur/difference method. Only my second attempt at deep sky, still got a lot to learn.

post-26081-0-57881800-1366818217_thumb.p

Edit: forgot to say, any criticism or suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Dan

Dan,

Excellent image, despite the lack of guiding, partial drift alignment and pains of capture - nicely processed to boot. Look forward to seeing some stunning images from this rig as you sort out some of the wrinkles.

Have you modded the 350d?

Jake

Thanks guys :-)!

I'm sure that if I can balance it correctly and complete a drift alignment, I'll be able to get some 1 minute subs.

Plus I haven't collimated my telescope since I got it back in October and I get the impression that its out when observing.

No, its unmodded. I was happy to get some colour in the stars.

I tried to do a 2x drizzle in DSS but it gave me an out of memory error :-(

Dan

Thanks guys :-)!

I'm sure that if I can balance it correctly and complete a drift alignment, I'll be able to get some 1 minute subs.

Plus I haven't collimated my telescope since I got it back in October and I get the impression that its out when observing.

No, its unmodded. I was happy to get some colour in the stars.

I tried to do a 2x drizzle in DSS but it gave me an out of memory error :-(

Dan

EDIT CAN A MOD DELETE THIS POST I ACCIDENTLY CLICK POST TWICE

Archived