Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gorgeous Sun

Sqyff

Absolutely gorgeous features on the Sun today.

At least 6 proms all the way down the western limb from 1 o'clock to near 6 o'clock. Those lovely sunspots, filaments, magnetic disturbance.

Too much to describe really. If you haven't looked yet, get out there and treat yourself. :grin:

Indeed, some lovely proms on view. I had a go at capturing them. I'm very much a beginner at solar imaging and not sure if you'll approve of the processing, though!

PST, QHY5, 2x Barlow, c.550 frames stacked in registax. As an aside, my images show the most horrendous lumps of dust and other junk. They're not in the camera or barlow, as they stay in the same position if I rotate the cam. Any ideas what to do about that?

8674306217_4eca13f25f_z.jpg

I've seen nice sun spots recently in white light. These descriptions are bringing out H-alpha lust again though.

Should I get myself a PST? I'm going to have to find a way... my birthday's coming up very soon :-))

Possibly down on the PST blocking filter? I can't imagine anything would get in to the tube unless you have removed it at some point, although I'm definitely not an expert on this. :smiley:

Great photo.

Should I get myself a PST? I'm going to have to find a way... my birthday's coming up very soon :-))

Shall we call that a rhetorical question? My birthday is in 3 weeks - I will be 65 and a penny insurance that my father took out for me when I was born is about to cough up. I hope it will be enough to double-stack my PST !!!

Shall we call that a rhetorical question? My birthday is in 3 weeks - I will be 65 and a penny insurance that my father took out for me when I was born is about to cough up. I hope it will be enough to double-stack my PST !!!

It's had plenty of time to appreciate. Does double stacking make that much difference? I think it's beyond my means at the moment, may be when I'm 65 ;-)

I used a PST belonging to my local society last year, and I've been coverting one of my own ever since.

Michael, I'd thought about that, but I've a Vixen refractor that might lend itself to modding at some point in the future.

I paid US $591 including transatlantic post. I see Rother valley optics have the same thing for 699 UKP. All down to how much customs duty and VAT I have to pay, but I still think I will make a good saving.

Good for you Galilean. You won't be disappointed.

Give it a few months and the dreaded aperture fever will hit and you'll be on the road to PST modding like the rest of us poor souls. :grin:

I borrowed a PST from my local Astronomy Society on Monday, and I've been rewarded with some fabulous views this lunchtime :-)))

Lots of sun spot activity, and some fascinating prominences too.

It's got to go back in a couple of weeks, so it's time to place my order.

I borrowed a PST from my local Astronomy Society on Monday, and I've been rewarded with some fabulous views this lunchtime :-)))

The PST is like a black hole, as soon as you get anywhere near one you get sucked in. :grin:

Well, you know you won´t be disappointed !!!

I do not have a PST, but I do absolutely love my LS35THa which is comparable. I got mine secondhand last year. It was fairly cheap, as there had been a spate of these going on the Dutch ABS equivalent (after the transit of Venus, no prizes for guessing why). Absolutely wonderful little scopes. I could kick myself for not bringing mine to work, as this morning the skies were leaden grey. Come lunchtime, they had cleared. :(

Archived