Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Success!

A great night last night starting with the Moon amazing views the detail is stunning could almost hear the silence as I became engrossed in looking at the Moon, have started with the Lunar 100.Who can get bored with the Moon. After a quick cup of tea it was time to look at Saturn a truly wonderful site even though the viewing was very 'wavy' if that's the word, is there any system to grade the seeing? Anyway spent a happy hour with Saturn even managed to see 2 of its moons but very little detail with Saturn itself. Any hints on seeing Saturn would be welcome, my light pollution is a big problem. I am using a Celestron C8 advanced (my retirement present to my self) plus a 24 to 8mm zoom lens.

Great report, and glad to hear you like the C8. I spent two sessions on the moon last weekend (must still post the reports), and it is a great sight through the C8. They are massively versatile visual scopes (mine has already lasted me 17.5 years) and can easily be transported to a dark site. Mine has bagged me over 300 galaxies, so don't let anybody tell you they are really only planetary and lunar scopes.

Hi,

Saturn isn't like Jupiter in terms of detail.

But you should still see plenty with an 8" 'scope.

I haven't found the conditions great for viewing Saturn yet either, it was positively bubbling the one night.

I think it's more a case of perseverance and waiting for a better night.

With my 'scope, as well as 4 (so far this time) moons, the rings have looked bright with a good clear Cassini Division and a definite North Equatorial belt.

There's been a slight difference then as I look further to the Polar region, but not as defined.

I'm hoping things will improve slightly when the moon is out the way and the seeing is better.

Is your 'scope the SGT?

In which case you might find that backing off from the highest magnification of your zoom lens may reveal more detail.

Cheers

Alan

With Saturn you need to keep trying as the "seeing" is very important for the detail to start to come out

* Last Friday I was able to see Saturn with a 9mm eyepiece and achieve good focus (cassini division clearly visible)

* Last Night I could not get any clear focus below 17mm and whilst I could see some detail on the planet (look for a line across the planet about half way down - the top half is a darker shade of colour)

I have been looking at the planet on and off for two months and last friday is the only time I have seen the division clearly

More usual was to see the rings divided into two colour bands ?

Anyway, keep trying...

While I was outside on Saturday night around 10:00 eastern time I looked out I've the Atlantic or east toward you guys. I was able to see the planet some detail with titan slightly to the right and north of her as she was low but also I was only using a starblast 4.5 with a 15 mm and a 6mm ep.

Thanks for the replies guys, particularly liked the term 'bubbling' described to a 't' what Saturn looked like the other night. I did find that backing of from the higher magnification gave mucher better view, also my scope is the SGT.

If there is one thing I have learnt since becoming interested in astronomy is that perseverance is very useful useful attribute. Plenty of opportunities over the coming months to get better views, clouds permitting.

in passing how do you get your equipment details at the bottom of the e-mails?

Archived