Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which finderscope as a guide scope?

Having sold my 9x50 standard finderscope due to contortionist characteristics it had, I thought I'd with a bit of extra cash upgrade to an 90' erected one. But I also want one I could use as secondary guide scope ...with QHY5. Any ideas? Would consider secondhands :)

I use the Altair Astro 10x60 mini finder guider package and it works very well. Easy to screw in the illuminated reticle when needed and the guider adapter works fine, screw that in and as it's a helical focuser the focus doesn't change and you can just screw that in when you're guiding. This as a finder looks the same, so it will be fine. With this one though there's no mention of an adapter included so that you can screw the guider in and out.

I use the Altair Astro 10x60 mini finder guider package and it works very well. Easy to screw in the illuminated reticle when needed and the guider adapter works fine, screw that in and as it's a helical focuser the focus doesn't change and you can just screw that in when you're guiding. This as a finder looks the same, so it will be fine. With this one though there's no mention of an adapter included so that you can screw the guider in and out.

Yes, I considered the Altair Astro...pretty decent but also a bit pricy though.

As for the TS finder, it seems that since you can unscrew the 1.25 eyepiece, it's possible to shove in the QHY5 provided the 1.25mm nosepiece is on. I'm not sure whether or not I can reach focus this way though :(

Bern at Modern Astronomy does various adaptors for various cameras and finder scopes to make finder guiders. I just bought an adaptor to suit an Orion finder and QHY5. You just gotta let him know what finder and camera you are using.

Having sold my 9x50 standard finderscope due to contortionist characteristics it had, I thought I'd with a bit of extra cash upgrade to an 90' erected one. But I also want one I could use as secondary guide scope ...with QHY5. Any ideas? Would consider secondhands :)

Hi,

The one from Altair Astro is good but very pricy. I have this one ( link below) , you need to make a parfocal eyepiece as focusing could be a pain, otherwise it is fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BST-Starguider-50mm-Mini-Guide-Scope-Set-/160808654337?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item2570f15601

Regards,

A.G

I have rigged everything up to the notepad and it looks and works real good :smiley:

I am going to concentrate on the moon for imaging, due to the limitations of my scope I dont think I will need the guide scope.

Knowing me though i will buy the adapter just to use as a fancy finder scope - save me bending down :grin:

Archived