Finally the clouds clear; M106&NGC4565

astrovirus

So, after the worst winter season since starting this hobby, the clouds finally cleared to do some imaging. It has been since september 2012 that I have been able to capture a reasonable set of data worht processing. First image, M106 is from back in the first week of March (5-6 March) and compiles 3 hrs 40 min in 10 min subs at ISO 800 (TEC at -5°C) with 30 darks, 50 bias and 21 flats for calibration. Captured with Nebulosity 2.4.4 and data reduced by DSS 3.3.2. Post-processed by DSLR-LRGB method in PS CS3.

Second shot is from ast week, April 1 to 2 and comprises my longest exposure on a single object to date; 7 hrs 10 min in 10 min subs at ISO 800, 30 darks, 50 bias and 41 flats. Data aquisition and processing as above. Two more stacks on HD awaiting processing, but more clear spells on the way.

post-6675-0-62562000-1365627575_thumb.jp

post-6675-0-81250600-1365627588_thumb.jp

NIce images, but what is this method you speak of?

It's a method for processing DSLR (or any OSC image) where you create a synthetic luminance image by converting your RGB color image into a grey scale image. With this synthetic L (sL) you then follow the LRGB processing workflow used in CCD imaging. The major benefits are that you can do things like high-pass filtering on the sL image and therefore do not have issues with the colornoise. When you subsequently process the color data, you blur out all the cromatic noise and increase the saturation in several steps. When this is combined with a sL the detail comes from there and the RGB is just used to colorize the image.

See Scott Rosen's website for a detailed workflow video (2hrs long, but accessable in small parts online).

Thanks, I'll have a look. I've dabbled with synthetic Lum before but that was just as a way to give the image a slight contrast boost. The technique I followed was to convert the image from RGB to LAB in Photoshop and copy the 'L' layer to get the image luminance.

Archived