Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AR11719 'Turbulent Seas' - Animation - 6th April

markt

OK then, the theory was this area had gone pop on friday evening with an M-class flare and so by saturday morning should be crackling away with activity still. Well it was a bit quieter than I had hoped for but when you look carefully there is plenty to see all over the image. I particularly like the ebbing and flowing of material in the filament on the right, and the area immediately around ar11719 seems to be slopping around like a rough sea. Infact the more you look the more subtle small scale things you see happening.

8631088498_0b349d6df7_o.gif

animation by Mark Townley, on Flickr

The animation is made up of 57 frames, each shot with a cadence of 30 seconds, so spanning just under half an hour in the life of our star. Each avi that made up a frame had 800-900 individual frames in (depending on how efficient IC Capture was being) and from that I stacked the best 50. It was shot with the 5" PST mod at about 2 metres focal length using a DMK31. I think when doing again I may well drop the cadence down to 20 seconds, maybe even 15 if it is a particularly active area.

Hope you like this! Not sure when will be able to image again, the weather has gone pants again for the foreseeable here in the UK.

Mark :)

Archived