NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading scope

Hi,

I am looking to set aside some money and save to upgrade my scope, currently have a SW 130P-DS and EQ2 Mount.

I want something for DSO observing and any advise would be appreciated.

Also, a goto mount is on my list to look at.

I was thinking of getting the SW 80ED Pro & HEQ5 Pro mount, but i am not sure this would be the best option for DSO viewing.

One last point, it needs to be portable as viewing from my back garden is very restricted because of houses and trees. So i need to be able to load it into my car.

cheers,

david

David,

if its DSOs you're after, and you have a 130 already, id be thinking of 200 or 250mm aperture. If GOTO is on your list, then aperture plus goto wlll be pretty expensive. Most here, when going after DSOs go for as much aperture as they can afford, generally on a Dob mount. Of course you can get goto with the Dobs, but again, its ££££ Nudging a Dob is easy and you'll learn how to find the ojects, especially with a circle and wixey.

Barry

I had not thought about a Dob, because of looking at getting a GOTO mount. Are they easier to work with, i do have trouble with my EQ2 mount, which is why i have a GOTO mount in mind.

Certainly looking at the prices i could get the 250PX Dob at £445, which is considerably cheaper than an 80ED or 200P scope plus a mount.

Will have a look into this, check out some youtube vids of How to use a Dob etc..

dont be put off by a dob..... its really quite easy.

The Software (I use Luminos on iPad) gives you the Alttude and Azimith bearings for just about any object in the sky. Way more objects than the goto databases

Get yourself a Wixey, which is about £30 and is a digital angle guage - you use this to get the dob to the right altitude angle. Then its a case of pointing the scope to the right Az value, there are a few solutions to this, but I had a large 360 degree protractor printed onto PVC (£20), tnis is mounted on the telescope base.

I can find objects quicker than my mate does with his goto scope....dont get me wrong I loved mygoto scope, it really got me hooked, but a Dob is great value for money !

PM me sometime if you want details. I did my mods without taking a saw to the base.. some people have done a very neat job, but I didnt trust myself, or want to permanantly change my base. One thing you have to be caeful of is to get dobby level on the ground, so I had to make a levelling device. Again I can fwd details if you like.

Thanks, i will save up for the 250PX Dob. Then look at adding the mods, definitely agree with you. I am not confident enough to take a saw to the base. Will probably PM you once i have the Dob and am ready to mod it.

Cheers,

Always feel a bit overwhelmed when looking for a new scope, so many options and i am still learning.

I too have luminous on my iPad,.

Look out for an update coming this week that provides a great new feature to allow you to move back to previously selected obejcts (swipe left/right I think the gesture is goinng to be).... great when you acciidentally click on the wrong thing and pick another object by accident...

If budget is an issue take a look at second hand stuff - you can get some cracking gear in near perfect condition for great prices. I picked up a 200P f-5 recently complete with rings and dovetail for only £130 in immaculate condition. Would sit very nicely on an HEQ5 for observing. :)

Thanks for the feedback, i think i will get a Dob. Probably the 200P, although if i can hold off 1 month i might be able to afford the 250PX.

1 last question, are the flextube scopes any good?

I was looking at this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-flextube-goto.html

And i could hold out and save for this, if it is considered a good setup.

As said above, the best value for money is a dob. If you are going to add GOTO into the mix then i would choose to have the GOTO on an equatorial mount. The reason is because it would give you the option of observing the night sky using different types and sizes of scopes or perhaps at a later date of entering the dark world of imaging (...you can never say never! :grin:). The set up in your link is a great setup by you can't transfer the GOTO system and so you are stuck with only using that one particular scope. A popular combination of mount and scope which is a variant of your link is this one. The same aperture so providing an improvement of what you already have, can be used for imaging but does allow you to put other scopes on it (PST for solar viewing?) if you wanted to at a later date as your needs change. Yes it is more expensive but in my opinion the versatility will help hold its value and provide you with more options which when you are starting out is really important. Hope that helps. :smiley:

James

That's a good choice and you won't be disappointed with the views. Have you gone for the dobsonian version or have you gone with one supported by an equatorial mount with GOTO?

Wishing you clear skies for when your new scope arrives!

James

Archived