NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Neq6 Pro power question.

I went out for an evening with my neq6 pro last night for the first time. I was overjoyed when I had it all working. I saw Saturn for the first time and generally had a great evening.

My only issue though was the power supply. The red power light was blinking and flashing consistently throughout the night. I am using a 17Ah Skywatcher power supply which is in good working order and was fully charged for 24 hours prior to going out.

The mount performed a three star alignment without a problem and tracked accurately for the whole 3 or so hours we were out, but the LED blinked constantly.

So a couple of quick questions:

* Is this normal or is it indicative of a problem? Does it look like there is an issue with the PSU or something?

* I found that the power cable fell out really easily. I knocked it once or twice when using the handset and had to realign the damn thing. Anyone else have this problem with a sensitive power cable?

Thanks in advance guys.

So I guess to test this I should set it up from the mains instead and see if the light flickers. If it doesn't flicker, then that should eliminate any connection issues on the mount itself and isolate the problem to the PSU?

You could try arranging some kind of protection to help prevent the plug coming out so easily - a bit like this perhaps:

post-5202-0-99623400-1364978822_thumb.jp

Ah that looks pretty nice. What is that you are using to grip the cable there?

That grip comes with the mount. It should be hidden away in the packing somewhere. Just stick it on wherever is the best location for your wiring setup.

This was certainly the case when I got mine about 3 years ago and hopefully is the same now - it's a little component that is easily overlooked in the box amidst all the excitement of getting the mount set up for the first time. :smile:

If you want to stop your led flickering when using a mains adapter, I can recommend one of thease...

http://cpc.farnell.c...cket/dp/IN02429

Its has a propper regulated 13.8v output and comes with a circuit diagram, good value for money IMHO.

You can't beat a good bench PSU but you can still have problems with the powering an NEQ6 from a bench supply if you have other power hungry devices connected as well.

I recently had problems with my NEQ6 flashing and locking up due to running a DewBuster and a QHY8 on the same circuit. The dew heater and camera seemed to knock the voltage getting to the NEQ6 down to too low a level. Fortunately I have one of these: http://www2.ripmax.n...ItemID=O-IP2002

O-IP2002.jpg

This has 2 independent outputs and by running a second cable from the second output port to exclusively power the NEQ6 the problem was solved.

This was certainly the case when I got mine about 3 years ago and hopefully is the same now - it's a little component that is easily overlooked in the box amidst all the excitement of getting the mount set up for the first time. :smile:

Yep, I can confirm it was in the pack when I bought my NEQ6 in January, and was also overlooked by me as I had no idea what it was for! It was only seeing this thread and thinking like ubertank that it looked jolly useful that I've found (very luckily!) that I didn't file it in the bin, and it is now securing my own power cable. So great tip, thanks very much :grin:

Yep, I can confirm it was in the pack when I bought my NEQ6 in January, and was also overlooked by me as I had no idea what it was for! It was only seeing this thread and thinking like ubertank that it looked jolly useful that I've found (very luckily!) that I didn't file it in the bin, and it is now securing my own power cable. So great tip, thanks very much :grin:

Great stuff :smile: - it doesn't help that there is IRIC no mention of it in any of the documentation that comes with the mount. Then again, who reads documentation.... :book1:

A mains PSU will stop the blinking LED the NEQ6 requires a good steady voltage the 13.8v PSU's do the job, mine has a 30' twin cable from the PSU inside the property to the NEQ6 out in the garden, never blinks, as for the plug a 2.1mm by 5.5mm(length of the plug) Maplin do them for £1.89 each or E-Bay do them 5 for £2.19 including postage....i received the 5 pack today and there every bit as good as the Maplin type....

Archived