NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2" 26mm EP

Hello all,

I'm enjoying my SW PanaView 2" 32mm EP lots!

It's one of my most used EPs.

However, there are occasions when it would be good to be able to just slip in a slightly higher powered EP when viewing DSOs without swapping to the 1.25" EPs.

SW do a 26mm Panaview, there's also the WO 25mm SWAN or Meade do a 26mm in the 4000 QX series that are all in the same price bracket (there's also Ostara's 26mm SWA).

I know they're considered budget EPs, but as I said, I get on fine with the PanaView and unfortunately won't ever be buying anything more expensive.

So, has anyone any experience of any of these for a comparison?

I'm not asking if they compare to TVs, pentax or ESs, just if they're comparable to the 32mm Panaview, or if any should be avoided.

Otherwise, the only other advantage to the PanaView is that it would be parfocal, but that's never bothered me with my other EPs!

Cheers

Hi

I personally would not have Meade 26mm in the 4000 QX series or the Ostara's 26mm SWA and I do not have any experience with the SW 26mm Panaview

out of the ones you have looked at I would have the W/O 25mm Swan 72fov

clear skies

The ES aren't as expensive as you might think. A little more, sure but still quite affordable and they offer wonderful views.

this 18mm 2" for instance is 82 degrees, so much wider than the 70 panaviews, and it lands in the UK for £140. I know that's close to double a panaview but it isn't TV ot Pentax money which are £300+ I believe (new). The ES range offer a good middle ground and are very good quality eyepieces.

http://www.optical-systems.com/explore-scientific-82deg-eyepiece-18mm-p-22951.html

I would just point out that the eye relief on the 18mm ES isnt particularily long, so bear that in mind.

18mm offers a great focal length for viewing DSO, exactly what you are after without switching down to 1.25"

Food for thought.

Having tried a few of the "budget" 2" 26mm wide angles around I've always felt that they are not as good as the 32mm's in the same ranges. The QX is the worst of this mediocre bunch - why Meade bundle it with the Lightbridge scopes is beyond me :undecided:

I don't feel the WO SWAN's are great eyepieces in F/6 or faster scopes either, really.

If possible I'd be looking for an 18mm-20mm ultra-wide such as the ES. The extra magnification will darken the background sky making faint nebulae and galaxies stand out just a little more.

Goodness!

Thanks for the swift responses.

I enjoyed them all. :grin:

Unfortunately John, I'm in the mediocre bunch. :p

The ES is a very nice EP, from Stargazing00s sig it looks like he should be on commission!

I'll give it some thought, thanks again.

Cheers

....Unfortunately John, I'm in the mediocre bunch. :p

I was only referring to the 26mm focal length in the (relatively) low budget "super wide" ranges. For some reason I've never found them satisfying other than in F/10 or slower scopes.

Other 26mm's (eg: the Meade 4000 26 plossl) are fine.

It may be worth considering just buying some 1.25 - 2" adaptors and leaving them attached to the 1.25" EPs you are going to use that session. They're about a tenner each and then all of you EPs will be 2".

Russell

PS. I've never found a 26mm that I liked either. Something in the 17-20mm range is far more useful.

Other 26mm's (eg: the Meade 4000 26 plossl) are fine.

I know, I have it!

It may be worth considering just buying some 1.25 - 2" adaptors and leaving them attached to the 1.25" EPs you are going to use that session. They're about a tenner each and then all of you EPs will be 2".

Russell

If my search is fruitless, then that maybe an option athough not quite what I was after (and the pedant in me would ask if it were technically true to then call them all 2" EPs :p )

PS. I've never found a 26mm that I liked either. Something in the 17-20mm range is far more useful.

26mm seemed to be what was available in 2" in the budget range.

But if we're now considering the ES 18mm 2" EP, then I'm open to other 2" suggestions in that, not so budget, price range! :grin:

Cheers

If my search is fruitless, then that maybe an option athough not quite what I was after (and the pedant in me would ask if it were technically true to then call them all 2" EPs :p )
Yes an no. There are plenty of very good 1.25" EPsthat come in a dual 1.25/2" fitting for exactly the reason you want to buy a 2" 26mm.

If I'm having a DSO/Faint fuzzy evening, I stick adaptors on my 11 & 14mm EPs to facilitate easy swapping during the night. If I'm being lazy and planet/Lunar viewing, there's no need to get the 2" EPs out and stick to 1.25" mode.

Russell

Archived