Best bins...

Its difficult to describe how bad the new ones are... But to try, if I aim at a chimney about 100 metres away it looks like there are two chimneys with a gap in between them :D...

And they are at different heights.

nice and sharp though

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its difficult to describe how bad the new ones are... But to try, if I aim at a chimney about 100 metres away it looks like there are two chimneys with a gap in between them :D...

And they are at different heights.

nice and sharp though

The bins are out of collimation if that is what you are seeing.

Only if the view through mine is less than a tenth as good as the view through yours, and if I would have spent that much on my first set of binos and therefore had some to use all this time. These Auriols would have been a false economy as they were so obviously unacceptable and I wouldn't have been happy this far - but as Lidl have a good returns policy all that is lost is a bit of time (and a small amount of petrol).

I have had good use out of the Bressers, and probably will continue to, so no they were not at all a false economy.

I think for the benefit of the OP, I can wholeheartedly recommend either of my two pairs of bins - and I'm happy if you're happy :)

WO ED 10x50 and the TS/APM Marine 10x50HD (same thing, really) are very good according to many. More expensive of course, but they supposed to be more similar in quality to the Helios Apollo 15x70HD that I have, and which are brilliant. You need to look for Fujinon and the like to get anything better (and the difference I am told is not huge). Not used these, but sorely tempted.

Today i was out with my 9 yr old niece, and i was window shopping. I saw a set of Celestron 15x70 Astromasters for about 60 euros in a chemists window. My niece gave me a look that i thought only a wife could give a husband, as if to say "you REALLY dont need another set of bins".

Its not like i was going to buy them.

• 2 months later...

Ken strides forward bravely to take another hit for the team!

You should post your thoughts here and in the thread in the Astro Lounge about the 8x60's Ken.

And although the thread has wandered a bit from summerstars original post, there have been a lot of mentions about peoples own binoculars.

I myself currently have a set of Carl Ziess Jena Jenoptem 10x50W. Bought over twenty years ago from Argos ('88-89 per the serial number) and they've kept me happy for what they are.

Mark

Ken strides forward bravely to take another hit for the team!

You should post your thoughts here and in the thread in the Astro Lounge about the 8x60's Ken.

And although the thread has wandered a bit from summerstars original post, there have been a lot of mentions about peoples own binoculars.

I myself currently have a set of Carl Ziess Jena Jenoptem 10x50W. Bought over twenty years ago from Argos ('88-89 per the serial number) and they've kept me happy for what they are.

Mark

Zeiss from Argos......how times have changed....

Zeiss from Argos......how times have changed....

I just browsed Argos website. While you can't buy Zeiss any more, you can buy Nikon 7x50 IF SP (aka Nikon Prostar). Probably one of the best and most expensive 50mm roof prism astronomy binocular on the market. Not that I think anyone will buy it from Argos though, it's £50 cheaper at Amazon. :D

Hey guys... Lidl is advertising Bresser (not own-brand this time) 8x60 BK-7 for £30. I'm gonna take a look.

Heads up to anyone going to have a look at these binoculars, they aren't actually available in Lidl until Monday 17th June. I was in my local branch today (Friday) looking for something else from the leaflet and they aren't in till Monday either! This isn't clear on the leaflet, but can be seen on the Lidl web site. This was mentioned also over on the "Lidl 8x60 Binoculars" thread in the Astro Lounge.MarkMark

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that. The weekly flyer has headings "Available from Thursday" and "Available from Monday" - it's quite clear if you are used to it. I didn't know about the other thread so I will go there.

If there was a decent local binocular shop that would be a good plan. My lament is that there isn't (that I know of).

Further to this, Davies Cameras in Newport shut up shop when they retired, leaving only Jessops - and then Jessops closed too. However, I was passing that way a few weeks ago and discovered a new camera shop has opened on Davies old premises - so I took a look. The range of binos was limited, to say the least, and mainly roof prism types popular with wildlife enthusiasts (typically 40mm max). I was allowed to take a pair outside, but the seeing wasn't great and although not cheap I couldn't quickly tell much difference with my Bressers (which I took with me for reference).

Archived