Best bins...

Can anyone recommend some decent bins? Would like some just for when we get some surprise clear skies and I'm not having to quickly set up only for the sky to cover again! Don't want to pay more than about £100 if possible.

Thanks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lidl, Bresser 10x50, £12 :laugh: Pair in the car, pair in the house, pair at work ... can't really be beaten under about £50. Haven't had them on sale for a while though ... :sad:

Someone will probably be along with much more expensive (and optically better) suggestions soon ...

AndyG

My Mum recently got a pair of Opticron Oregons (8x42) http://www.firstlightoptics.com/roof-prism/opticron-oregon-le-wp.html She's very happy with them. I started a thread about getting a pair of binos for about £100 and these were suggested, as were some from Strathspey and also Olympus. I am sure that Steve will be along soon - He's the binocular guy and will hopefully point you to his excellent website about binoculars.

Have a look at Steve's website http://binocularsky.com/ for an excellent explanation of what you should be looking for. He's Tetenterre on here and write's the new S@N mag binocular page.

P.S. I've been happy with my Helios Natursport 10x50s for £90 which were a S&N best buy, but I'm no expert.

Pete

10x50 will be best for grab and go, because the bigger they are the heavier they are,

ok if you are big and strong, because after awhile you tend to wobble about, so 10x50

are best, and you should get a reasonable pair for £100 above 10x50 you may need

a tripod and mount, recommendations will probably best come from Steve.

Good Luck

I second the link to www.BinocularSky.com I bought the Strathspey Giant 15x70 Binoculars which were £85+vat and whilst the weather has prevented extensive use, they have been a great improvement on my old bins.

These are quite big for me to hand hold so have also taken Steve's advice on using a monopod. Lots of good advice on the website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I may be wrong but I believe the Bresser 10x50 from Lidl are the same as these ... just much cheaper (if and when they're available)

AndyG

Definitely not the same. I have (had) a pair of the 7dayshop ones; my father has a pair of the Bressers. Completely different design, and the 7dayshop were much poorer - the Bressers, whilst not stunning, were excellent value for the price and were the match for a pair of £60 Minoltas I had. I threw the 7dayshop ones away.

Colin

Definitely not the same. I have (had) a pair of the 7dayshop ones; my father has a pair of the Bressers. Completely different design, and the 7dayshop were much poorer - the Bressers, whilst not stunning, were excellent value for the price and were the match for a pair of £60 Minoltas I had. I threw the 7dayshop ones away.

Colin

Oops, don't know where I got the idea that the link posted was to 7dayshop, sorry! I have no experience of the Meade binos.

Please ignore my rambling...

Colin

I'd say that anything over 10x needs support, certainly for me. I actually like my 8x42s best. I get a steadier view than in my 10x. It depends how steady your grip is, really.

Olly

I agree with Olly. I have my trusty 8 x 42s out more than the telescope these days. Best thing is they're extremely easy to hold, even for long periods of time. No, the best thing is they're Zeiss! ;)

Lidl, Bresser 10x50, £12 :laugh: Pair in the car, pair in the house, pair at work ... can't really be beaten under about £50. Haven't had them on sale for a while though ...

I have a pair of these too, though I can't remember how much I paid for them. Brilliant for the price, and I would be prepared to buy some better ones but none I have looked at so far are enough better to be worth the price. Better eye relief would be nice.

Lidl, Bresser 10x50, £12 :laugh: Pair in the car, pair in the house, pair at work ... can't really be beaten under about £50. Haven't had them on sale for a while though ... :sad:

Someone will probably be along with much more expensive (and optically better) suggestions soon ...

AndyG

Looking at my local Lidl store on their website it looks like they have the cheap 10x50's in as of tomorrow... Bk 7 prisms though (http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=1060). Are they really any good though for that price or do you end up having to optically check 5 pairs in store before you find a decent pair?

Wow, you're right. The flyer came through my door today and those are the ones. If there is a lottery with them I scored straight off. £16.99 - I'll get a spare pair. Grab them folks, you won't be disappointed for the money!

Just one thing to watch out for: the eye cups twist to move them away from the eyepieces on three small screws that engage into spiral grooves inside the eye cups. I have lost one of these screws - which does not stop me using the binos, but I don't know how I lost it or even if it was missing when they were purchased.

I bought these as they seemed to be a very reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BIGHK58/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought they might be rubbish but they are a lot better than my old 7x50s. I was easily able to locate PANSTARRS and M31 with them.

M42 was a revelation. My photographer colleague used them to view PANSTARRS and M42 whilst I was desperately trying to get the scope to point the right way. Once he found out the price he went and bought some.

Guys,

The engraving on my Lidl-special Bresser 10x50's says "BaK-4". The info Lidl are publishing might be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time). I have been trawling the web, but I can't find anything to tell me buying the Meade would be anything more than a waste of £23.

Me thinks a trip to Lidl is occuring for me tomorrow.. I'll be the one in the aisle with 10 sets unpacked and trying to make it look like I know what I'm talking about when comparing the quality of binoculars...

If they are sold out then everyone on here is in trouble!

Have a look at Steve's website http://binocularsky.com/ for an excellent explanation of what you should be looking for. He's Tetenterre on here and write's the new S@N mag binocular page.

Good checklist. Regarding the tests for vertical and lateral displacement, I find the best way is to occult each objective alternately and rapidly (like a blink comparator, both eyes open), and watch for image jumps. I find I can do it myself with one hand holding the binos and the other waving in front, but it would be easier with somebody else to do the occulting.

I ran the test as if examining a second-hand pair on my Bresser Lidl specials (markings on the exterior: 10x50, BaK-4 Long Eyerelief 114m/1000m). Given that I have to wear specs to eliminate my astigmatism (but normally don't bother), these are my findings (if no comment, then test item was a pass):

1. Fold-down rubber eyecups not applicable; twist-up eyecups do not lock in place. Screw missing on left eyecup mechanism.
  2. Exit pupil appears circular, but 4-4.5mm instead of expected 5mm.
  3. Focus is precise, but acceptable over a small range of the main knob or the diopter adjustment (1/10 turn and 1/20 turn respectively). This may be influenced by ageing eyes and focal accommodation.
  4. There is some colour fringing, but (without anything to compare it to) slight and IMO acceptable (for the price).
  5. Focus is good to about 50% to the edge of the field, acceptable to 100%.
  6. Pincushion distortion becomes noticeable (if looked for) at about 50%, acceptable to 100%.
  7. Out-of-field light source produces an obtrusive diagonal streak into the field from bottom left and top right (right eye) and bottom right and top left (left eye).

I checked my diaries, and these were bought in 2006 for £10. It is possible they have be cost-reduced by using BK-7 since then. The results above may look scary, but I have no reference point. For all I know I might have to spend a couple of hundred pounds to do better. However, at least now I have some definite results to comare with.

By the way (it's a pain not being able to edit posts post posting), if I had to pick the worst thing about these Bressers, it's that they won't focus closer than about 30 feet. Again I don't know whether that's good or bad, but it is a bit of a pain getting garden wild-life in close-up.

Archived