Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I was going to call this 'Old Books' but that does not do justice to the old books.

I was lucky enough today to come across a 1990 reprint of the 1987 edition of 'The Southern Sky' by David Reidy and Ken Wallace. Ken still edits the Astronomy Australia year book.

I paid A$3 for my pristine copy. I have been looking through it and though in some ways it seems dated as it is all B&W images with line drawings, but it is so relevant. This was published before the WWW took off and we had the 'gosh, WOW' books from Dorian Kingsley and junk house publishing.

It properly talks about what you can expect to see rather than flying off into the relms of want and fantasy.

Relevant because it covered the basics, how to work out focal lengths, strengths and weaknesses of the various types of 'scope, eyepieces, naked eye observing, what to look for, basic line drawings of constelations.

With respect to this site if you key in a search for a piece of equipment you generally get the makers blurb as a hit, which of course is going to be slightly biased. SGL gives honest practical opinion. So do the vintage books.

Just before Christmas I came across a 1957 copy of Patrick Moores 'Practical Astronomy'. I had a copy of that book as a Christmas prezzy in 1967. Again very relevant as it keeps to basics. I paid A$7 for that copy I found....my old Christmas prezzy has sadly long gone ... :(

So if you come across a vintage Astronomy book, buy it, love it.....and learn from it.

I spend most of my free time reading instead of watching television. Vintage books are more academic than advertising, which is a breath of fresh air in this day and age. One of the best introductions to amateur telescopes and observing I've read, was in the first seven pages of the chapter " Amateur Observing ", in the " Observing Handbook And Catalog Of Deep Sky Objects "; no hype or promotion of any product.

Archived