Skywatcher Auto Focusser

Hi all,

Just bought one of these and fitted it to my 200PDS. I'm very pleased with it.

The only issues I have had are 1) poor instructions 2) no battery supplied 3) nearly impossible to fit the battery in 3) control cable too short .

The instruction problem was solved by an excellent Youtube video :

. It even explained why I had bits left over!

Having gone out and bought a battery in a lovely rainstorm, the fitting issue was solved by just a bit of playing with it.

As for the cable : I ordered a 6.4m cable from Amazon, but when I received it and tried it, I found that it reversed the controls, because the two RJ10 connectors were wired as mirror images of each other (i.e. one was upside down). I'm currently waiting for a reply from the seller, but I suspect at £3, I'm probably wasting my time.

Still, I can recommend the motor drive, it's very smooth :)

Is it astronomy instructions in general that are rubbish or just skywatcher?

I had the same issue with instructions for the 200p, they were junk and I used youtube and Sky at Night guides to set it up. The other thing was it just seems a bit of a bodge job in places...fitting motors shows how the hole for the RA cable is off centre and its a pain to connect and remove. Thinking about it, the PA scope arrived damaged, the cover for it was broken and yes they were replaced a week later but the whole "new scope" experience was a bit rubbish. Then you realise how bad the standard eyepieces are and end up thinking it might have been a less than brilliant purchase.

Is it astronomy instructions in general that are rubbish or just skywatcher?

I had the same issue with instructions for the 200p, they were junk and I used youtube and Sky at Night guides to set it up. The other thing was it just seems a bit of a bodge job in places...fitting motors shows how the hole for the RA cable is off centre and its a pain to connect and remove. Thinking about it, the PA scope arrived damaged, the cover for it was broken and yes they were replaced a week later but the whole "new scope" experience was a bit rubbish. Then you realise how bad the standard eyepieces are and end up thinking it might have been a less than brilliant purchase.

There's a whole thread about manuals here : http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/136314-skywatcher-synscan-goto-what-the-manual-doesnt-tell-you/

I'm sorry your experience of your new scope was so poor.

I know that although I found the manuals poor, it forced me onto a steep learning curve and I now know a lot more than I would have ever gleaned from the manuals. The standard eyepieces aren't great. First thing I bought as an accessory was new EPs.

I'm sorry your experience of your new scope was so poor.

Well you know how it is...soon forgotten when you see Jup for the first time and have that "wow" moment. :smiley:

The focusser looks interesting, I guess it takes that wobble during focusing problem away?

The focusser looks interesting, I guess it takes that wobble during focusing problem away?

It certainly eliminates wobble, but it's a trade off, as you can no longer manually focus. Apparently, doing so risks damage to the motor.

The easiest way I found to solve the battery fit problem was to actually unscrew the back of the handset, put the battery in and then reassemble the entire thing with the battery cover already in place.

Actually, that was the second easiest. The easiest was to fit a power jack on the size and power it from a 9V wall-wart :)

I bought a long coiled extension lead for the motor and the wires are also crossed over. I'd not even realised, to be honest. As long as the focuser moves in and out it doesn't really matter which button does the job.

James

The easiest way I found to solve the battery fit problem was to actually unscrew the back of the handset, put the battery in and then reassemble the entire thing with the battery cover already in place.

Actually, that was the second easiest. The easiest was to fit a power jack on the size and power it from a 9V wall-wart :)

I bought a long coiled extension lead for the motor and the wires are also crossed over. I'd not even realised, to be honest. As long as the focuser moves in and out it doesn't really matter which button does the job.

James

That sounds really interesting. You don't by any chance have a quick 'how to' with some photos? Me and others on this forum would be very interested! ;)

So just to clarify, what exactly did you use for the power socket? Did you buy from Maplin?

I happened to have a spare one that fitted a 9V supply that I had (I tend to keep them if whatever they originally powered dies because they're often useful for childrens toys and suchlike). It's entirely possible that it originally came from Maplin or perhaps Farnell. Looks like I used a socket for a 5mm OD plug, but as I say in the write-up it may be better to find something smaller.

James

I happened to have a spare one that fitted a 9V supply that I had (I tend to keep them if whatever they originally powered dies because they're often useful for childrens toys and suchlike). It's entirely possible that it originally came from Maplin or perhaps Farnell. Looks like I used a socket for a 5mm OD plug, but as I say in the write-up it may be better to find something smaller.

James

Thanks. I will look into it and post back if I decide to do the mod! :D

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so the original reversed RJ10 (4P4C) connector was removed from the extension cable and a new one crimped on the other way around.

All connections now correct. Up is up and down is down!

I don't see it as an issue - just get in the state of mind of reversed turning. It's like the difference in computer mouse between a PC and a Mac.

Like I said, I'm a bit of a perfectionist ;)

As a matter of fact, I've just ordered another motor to fit on my 80ED (I already have one on my 200p) and with that I am buying an a Hitech Astro focuser controller which will allow me to control the focusing (by tuning and slewing) through my computer as well. I think this will be ideal for you if you, like in my case, moving towards automating your entire gear. :)

The adapter is £69 on FLO and Modern Astronomy. Of course, if your budget allows.

This is the same auto focuser as the Orion AccuFocus that I have. I had to peel the plastic outer wrapper off of the 9volt battery and carve out some of the plastic inside the battery compartment with an exacto knife to get the battery in and the cover to fit back over the battery compartment. So now when I want to replace the 9volt battery I have to peel the plastic outer wrapper off and then install the battery. But it is worth it for what the auto focuser does for me. I have a light weight (6lbs 3oz) 114mm reflector OTA and this stops the shaking of the OTA while focusing during observation. I can obtain sharp focus with the auto focuser witch is something I was concerned about when I purchased it. I wouldn't be without it now. NOTE:The AccuFocus/auto focuser weighs approximately 4.1oz. so this is something to consider when thinking about installing it to a OTA."Cheers"

Archived