SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

vast distances wow

SHUTTLE ATLANTIS

Distance From Earth to Saturn - Distance Between Earth and Saturn

Average/current distance from Earth to Saturn - Max/Min distance Between Earth and Saturn Distance Kilometers Miles AU Light Hours Average Distance 1.43 billion km 890 million miles 9.58 AU 1.33 light hours Current Distance 1.38 billion km 859 million miles 9.24 AU 1.28 light hours Maximum Distance 1.66 billion km 1.03 billion miles 11.08 AU 1.54 light hours Minimum Distance 1.19 billion km 743 million miles 7.99 AU 1.11 light hours

Saturn data - Distance From Earth to Saturn - Distance Between Earth and Saturn Average Distance from Earth to kilometers (km) Moon 384403 km (239,200 miles) Sun 149.6 million km (93 million miles) Mercury 155 million km Venus 170 million km Mars 253 million km Jupiter 787 million km Saturn 1.43 billion km Uranus 2.88 billion km Nuptune 4.5 billion km Pluto 6.09 billion km :bino2:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Pluto is just on the front doormat on the scale of the Universe I reckon :smiley:

... makes you realise just how very small, fragile and insignificant we are on our little planet...

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't use the word insignificant. I prefer to think that this beautiful pale blue dot of ours, that we call 'home', may well prove to be one of the most rare and treasured places in the universe. :smiley:

... I just wish we could learn to look after it! :sad:

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't use the word insignificant. I prefer to think that this beautiful pale blue dot of ours, that we call 'home', may well prove to be one of the most rare and treasured places in the universe. :smiley:

... I just wish we could learn to look after it! :sad:

nicely put :smiley:

I understand that insignificant was probably just a poor choice of words but seeing that I'm made of the same stuff as all those stars, galaxies, nebulae etc that we marvel at with the added ability to think, move, communicate etc I'm classing myself as pretty special :D

Scott

Way back in High School we all had to give a presentation to the rest of the class for one of our exams.

It could be any subject so I chose Astronomy :)

I thought the best thing would be to put together a presentation on the relative size of the planets and scale of the Solar System. I made some cardboard cut-out sun/planets to scale and passed them round the class explaining that there wasn't space in the class room for Mars and Jupiter would be over the road and the outer planets would be way off in the housing estate.

I was extremely shy then and was very anxious about having to do it. But having got into the swing and being very keen, I forgot myself and eventually took up most of the period rather than struggle to fill the required 10 minutes as others had!

It helped that my audience were in awe of the subject and kept asking questions :)

The scale of the universe is a great a great subject for winning over new enthusiasts!

It's one of those context words. We certainly aren't insignificant to us, but we - individually and collectively - occupy a tiny corner of space and time.

I suppose it depends on your perspective. You could say that we live in a tiny corner somewhere, or you could say that we live slap bang in the middle, with the entire universe distributed neatly around us. :smiley:

It wasn’t so much the where that I was referring to though, more the fact that what we have in terms of our planet with its oceans, mountains, forests, deserts etc, and our atmosphere and all the different types of weather it generates, is so rich and vibrant, that I believe it is extremely significant. :smiley:

I understand that insignificant was probably just a poor choice of words but seeing that I'm made of the same stuff as all those stars, galaxies, nebulae etc that we marvel at with the added ability to think, move, communicate etc I'm classing myself as pretty special :D

Scott

Quite so. :smiley:

We did the Pluto walk at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff Arizona. Once we had reached Pluto on the 450 foot path the guide stated that, according to scale, the nearest star (bar sun) would be 464 miles away in Los Angeles!

No one can honestly say how big the universe is, only the known ubiverse. I have been reading about the new theory that is being researched called The Theory of Everything. Amazing reading and I still havnt got my head fully round it. But part of it concerns a 5th dimension, one that is rolled up so tight that it cannnot be detected yet. Something to do with superstrings and also i believe dark energy is also linked in with it. I wont go on because i couldnt possibly do justice to some of this new theretical thinking but the science combined with what we know about the universe is absolutely mind boggling.

Yep I try not to think about it lol. Voyager 1 launched in 1977. Travelling at I believe 35000 mph for 35 years hasn't quite reached the edge of the solar system yet. I'll let someone else work out how long it would take before it reached Proxima Centauri.

Sumple rusty, its 186000ps devided by 35000mph times 4.5. I will let you put all the zeros and decimal point in :-D

I'll give it a try although my maths isn't great

186000 x 60 = 11160000 m/min x 60 = 669600000 mph x 24 =16070400000 m/day x 365.25 =5869713600000 m/yr (1 lightyear) x 4.5 = 26413711200000 miles

.: 26413711200000 / 35000 = 754677462.86 hrs / 24 = 31444894.29 days / 365.25 = 86091.43 yrs.

someone please tell me if i'm wrong or right

Scott

A while ago, I worked out that if you got in a car, and drove to Saturn at 70mph, with no pee stops and assuming you could afford the petrol, it would take you around 2500 years!

Years ago when I used to work with woodworking machinery a colleague started working out how long the 300mm saw blade we were operating at 5500 rpm would take to roll to certain cities.

Just for fun we then calculated how long it would take to reach the Moon and then the Sun if it were rolling along a pathway at that speed.

Can't remember the figures and I'm supposed to be doing some jobs now so won't start working it out again!

Pretty boring story really :)

Years ago when I used to work with woodworking machinery a colleague started working out how long the 300mm saw blade we were operating at 5500 rpm would take to roll to certain cities.

Hmm yes, I seem to recall that it was around this time that the 'Health & Safety Executive' was formed. :p

Only kidding Paul, sorry mate I couldn't help it, it's my sick twisted sense of humour! :grin:

Archived