SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

silly me!

Hi folks:

I have read that it is not advisable to use your scope indoors through windows. However it was -24 last night and I had scope fever bad. I have two scopes outside in my observatory/shed....brought the smaller one inside (Celestron Astromaster newt) and set up earlier in the evening. Couldn't acheive a good focus on the moon, so now I can see that scoping through windows is a problem. However it was nice to see the moon with the naked eye and Jupiter to the left of it.

Guess I will have to wait for warmer weather (perhaps 0 degrees or thereabouts)

Cheers and Clear Skies

Roger

Back in 64/65 I was in Edmonton and from Dec 19th to Jan 19th the temperature averaged -21C. I know because I kept temperature records for the job I was doing in Fort Saskatchewan. Not nice, but wasn't into astronomy then, so didn't have to suffer.

I speak from experience of observing through double glazed windows. It is very possible.

I am in Ireland. It rarely dips below -5C here in winter. I am a disabled person and some nights (no matter the season), i just cant be bothered to lug my scope outside to observe. The only objects i have found to be rubbish through windows while observing is planets. The Moon looks like the Moon, Stars look like stars, Neulae look like nebulae and galaxies look like galaxies.

The one thing to make sure of is that you are not pointing your scope directly over a central heating radiator. If you are turn it off.

Archived