NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8" Dob or 10" Dob?

Got with the 10 inch, later on it is very likely you will get Aperature fever? That way you will save yourself money in the long run not buying another scope and selling the other one.

Hope this helps?

Peter

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so if i did go with the 10"...what would my best EP be? as it says the ones that come with it are rubbish

define "rubbish"...

the standard ep's with an 8 or 10" dob will give you plenty of WOW moments whatever you look at. When people say rubbish, it doesnt generally mean you cant actually 'see' anything - you know, big black dots in the field of view, squigly lines etc.

what they may mean is that the field of view is not that wide. 50deg is about standard for budget eps. this may bother you, it may not. Alot of people buy classic orthoscopic eps that only have a 40deg field of view - so it isnt the be all and end all depending on yur point of view. Cheaper eps will probably not be entirely sharp right up to the edge, meaning pin point stars in the centre will appear not quite so pin [removed word] near the edge. they may also not be perfectly 'round' and stretch a little bit. On planets they may not offer the perfect contrast that very expensive eps have - eg the definition between the light and dark rings on jupiter may not be quite as sharp... but you wont see super sharp definition with intricate swirls anyway, you dont own hubble!

However as you get more experienced you may start to notice the slight flaws in the cheaper eps.....

you may want a wider feld of view and want that 'space walk' feeling of 80deg SWA 2" eps,

you may want more contrast to eek out that extra 5% of definition between the bands on jupiter or rings of saturn - maybe even spot a moon or two more - in which case you may sacrifice field of view entirely and buy some japanese orthos.

you may want the view to be perfect, no softness near the edge, pinprick round stars, super 'flat' 100 deg field of view and buy £300 eps...

but the standard eps will still blow your head off! Once you work out what you want to look at and what aspects of your current eps annoy you, then look at upgrades.

I think the best advice then is, buy the scope only not the accesories. Buy the scope based on your research. Get the scope, use the scope, formulate some ideas on what it is you like and only then buy accessories.

Spot on me thinks. :smiley:

I think the best advice then is, buy the scope only not the accesories. Buy the scope based on your research. Get the scope, use the scope, formulate some ideas on what it is you like and only then buy accessories.

Yes, thats the way to do it :smiley:

If its your first scope, I would go with the 8" simply because, you're probably going to want to upgrade no matter which one you get. The logical upgrade from an 8" is a 12", the logical upgrade from a 10" is a 16" monster :eek:

This man is correct.

Probably but not as your first eyepieces. They are very short focal lengths and therefore very reliant on perfect seeing. It's better to start with to get something a bit longer like an 8 10 or 12 and barlow it down.

You can't reverse barlow so you'd be painting yourself into a corner a bit with the money.

If, in time, you find you love planets and live in an area that gets regular good seeing then these might be a good choice, sure.

You dont need to listen to me at all, I just think it's a limiting choice and you'd be better getting more versatility. Better to buy longer eyepieces and barlow them down and if you find yourself living inside a barlow then buy eyepieces that dont need it to improve the view a little.

Archived