Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leo Triple

I located the Leo Triple last night (well, 2 of them at least). I have a SW 250px dob but could only make out very faint fuzzy patches, even after using averted vision for about 10-15 minutes. I was using the 25mm EP that came with the scope which I believe is an ok EP. Is there a reason I could only see faint fuzzy patches but almost no detail? The skies were nice and the I was at the dark site of central midland stargazers which offer pretty dark skies for the area. Would it come down to the type of EP that I am using or could it be something else?

Well i can only say well done ive been trying for ages get them ive been advised to use my 18mm BST to view them when i can locate them, ive still not managed that yet when i do maybe i will only see a couple of fuzzies.

If it helps, I found them by targeting Chertan in my EP and then slowly brought the scope down and there they were, just on the edge of my 25mm EP. Not much to see even though the sky was pretty dark and very clear. Not sure what they would look like in a 150mm though

Don't be disheartened, I have a 10" scope and am nowhere near seeing all the wonderful sights it can show me.

For detail in galaxies check these out.

M64 you can see the black eye effect.

M104 the sombrero truly looks like a sombrero through a 10"

M31 You can observe the dust lanes spiralling around it, and you can even see one of its globular cluster with a 10"

M33 shows spiral structure from a good dark site and you can also observe some of its H11 regions

M101 From a suitably dark sky also shows some of its H11 regions through a 10"

M106 always looks like a fabulous French curve to me.

M51 shows some spiralling when at the zenith at a dark site.

The list could be expanded on but you get the idea. To see detail you need to pick objects that are known to show it.

Good hunting and clear skies :)

Experience and practice goes a long way - you learn to see things better. Being a Neanderthal would help as they had bigger more sensitive eyes and more of their brain dedicated to vision. Unfortunately that would have left less brain to figure out how to build a telescope. :-/

Experience and practice goes a long way - you learn to see things better. Being a Neanderthal would help as they had bigger more sensitive eyes and more of their brain dedicated to vision. Unfortunately that would have left less brain to figure out how to build a telescope. :-/

HAHAHA that made me laugh. Always pro's and con's with everything

Don't be disheartened, I have a 10" scope and am nowhere near seeing all the wonderful sights it can show me.

For detail in galaxies check these out.

M64 you can see the black eye effect.

M104 the sombrero truly looks like a sombrero through a 10"

M31 You can observe the dust lanes spiralling around it, and you can even see one of its globular cluster with a 10"

M33 shows spiral structure from a good dark site and you can also observe some of its H11 regions

M101 From a suitably dark sky also shows some of its H11 regions through a 10"

M106 always looks like a fabulous French curve to me.

M51 shows some spiralling when at the zenith at a dark site.

The list could be expanded on but you get the idea. To see detail you need to pick objects that are known to show it.

Good hunting and clear skies :)

I'll keep those in mind when I am out again. I'll add them to the front of turn left at orion as good 10" objects :)

I had the same issue with the Leo Trio last night. It could be down to the conditions on the evening. I used a fairly decent BST 18mm eyepiece but couldn't make out the other one.

Clear skies

Jim

If it helps, I found them by targeting Chertan in my EP and then slowly brought the scope down and there they were, just on the edge of my 25mm EP. Not much to see even though the sky was pretty dark and very clear. Not sure what they would look like in a 150mm though

Thanks i have tried using Chetan just cant seem to get them in my finder i will keep trying though.

I haven't got them in my 8" yet tried last year when I first got the scope and failed and tried the other night and failed but put it down to the conditions , I'll give it another go then it'll be time for stellarium , my wixey and my setting circle to prove their worth.

Archived